Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rossi Tribute

Rossi Tribute

Well, I've finally started the Valentino Rossi tribute with my XL1200Ltd! I got the top sides filled and rubbed down over the weekend, but got a shock when I tried to 'flip' the ski to start on the hull. Having stripped out the exhaust, pump etc. I was thinking it would be light enough to turn over on my own. What a mistake that was! I nearly ended up with 2 lumps in my throat, so I'm waiting on my twin 21 year old boys to come up over Christmas and we'll turn it over TOGETHER! I knew they'd come in useful one day...HA HA. Looks like they'll earn their Christmas lunch this year. I've gone for the BMW-Mini Metallic blue for the deck, and a standard Glacier white for the hull and hood, with a high solids Clearcoat all over. Can't wait to get on with the project, and I'll keep you posted. Sadly I've gotten nowhere with Exotic, even after a phone call, so it looks like I'll have to source the decals locally. At least I've got plenty of time.Thank's to all who have given advice and input. Just hope I do it justice, and hope the temperature drags itself above the minus 5 we have at the moment! Happy Christmas and a peacefull new year from Paula and myself to you all, wherever you are. Regards, Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0005.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	165079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0006.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	165080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0008.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	165081  

+1
    Good choice with Rossi

THE DOCTOR....

Look good! sad to hear about exotic... go figure...

what kind of car is that in the pic?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGPR View Post
    Look good! sad to hear about exotic... go figure...

what kind of car is that in the pic?
    Looks like a Versa to me Andy. They get the cooler tail lights then the US spec's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris03HD View Post
    Looks like a Versa to me Andy. They get the cooler tail lights then the US spec's.
    I thought so, I have the same car, but not those cool tail lights...

figures US political balony...

just like they offer a Nissan Hitch in CA but not allowed to have a hitch on the versa here in the states...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGPR View Post
    I thought so, I have the same car, but not those cool tail lights...

figures US political balony...

just like they offer a Nissan Hitch in CA but not allowed to have a hitch on the versa here in the states...
    That's my driving school car. We know it as a Vauxhall (or Opel in Europe) Corsa Model D. (2006 on). It's a 1.4litre with a 4 speed auto box (I train disabled drivers, so I use auto with various adaptations), and it's got a Liquid Propane Gas conversion on the engine for economy. Cheers, Dave.

+1
    Great start to this project dave

cant wait for better weather and looking forward to driving down for a ride with you if we can get one sorted

Thank's Paul. Just got back from 6 hours work on ski. Glad I'm not charging this out, it doesn't LOOK like 6 hours! My boys did the flipover on Christmas Eve, so it was ready to get started this morning. Gaz called in to offer advice about what to sand and what needs filling, so that's tomorrows work,and to arrange to come in Monday to help finish the bottom sanding. We plan to get 2-3 coats of primer done early Monday PM, and flatted off by evening, then I can get the white and clearcoat done next Saturday. Once the hull is completely finished, she can go back on the trailer. We're at the International boatshow in London weekend of the 8th., so no chance of getting anything done that weekend! I've only to lightly sand the top again, then the blue and clear can go on, then the hood and top section can be bolted back on and sprayed white, and that'll ensure the blue stripes that run from the front of the hood to the rear of the top section run cleanly through the 2 sections, as they'll already be in situ. 3 coats of clear on that, and I'll be ready for the decals! Look forward to getting to ride with you, just the little matter of 300 miles driving to get to you!

Name:	Image0011.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	729.3 KB 
ID:	165467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0017.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	165468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0018.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	165469  

Gotta say a GREAT BIG THANK'S to Gaz1 for all his hard work today. Got the filler sorted really well, and primed the hull. Ready for topcoat Friday and Clear Saturday. Still just on freezing outside, but we got some heaters to bring the temperature up. One thing I did which was REALLY dumb was to run 3x 500 watt lights and 2x 1kw heaters off a coiled up electrical extension lead....Doh. When the wires finally melted, it blew the fuses and plunged us into semi darkness. I know you have to uncoil leads, I just didn't do it!

Name:	IMG_3231.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	961.6 KB 
ID:	165624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3233.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	971.8 KB 
ID:	165625  

great progress!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information