Need some direction

Just got a 1999 xl 1200 limited given to me. This forum has been a great resource so far. The problem I have is common and boils down on what would be my best course of action. My goal would be to get it running just to use it. Not really interested in moving from stock unless cheaper.

Top End:
    #1 Jug gouged, piston scored, pv broken
    #2 Jug looks fine ,piston ok rings stuck(dont know if i can free them), pv fine
    #3 Jug skirt broken, piston trashed, pv looks ok.

Options: Send 2 jugs to somewhere for weld and renic, buy 2 used jugs, sbt top end kit? Should I look at sleeving the bores?

Bottom end:
    crank setting in water and rusted, one rod was frozen up but i worked it free, Would anyone concider reusing this crank? Sbt? Crankworks? Used?

I want to do this as inexpensive as possible but not at the expense of doing a reliable job. I don't have to have the best way, just one that works.

If you are trying to do it on the cheap, look for a used low hour crank and some used 12r cylinders with matching pistons. Just make sure you use OEM gaskets and crank seals to save yourself some grief.

I believe I have a complete set of OEM crank seals if you need them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander View Post
    Just got a 1999 xl 1200 limited given to me. This forum has been a great resource so far. The problem I have is common and boils down on what would be my best course of action. My goal would be to get it running just to use it. Not really interested in moving from stock unless cheaper.

Top End:
    #1 Jug gouged, piston scored, pv broken
    #2 Jug looks fine ,piston ok rings stuck(dont know if i can free them), pv fine
    #3 Jug skirt broken, piston trashed, pv looks ok.

look for used and preferably in good condition jugs, if not you will either need to send the 2 and have repaired and renicked and as far as the 3rd you may have to replace it as I myself would't recommend trying to re-use it.

Options: Send 2 jugs to somewhere for weld and renic, buy 2 used jugs, sbt top end kit? Should I look at sleeving the bores?

SBT would be o.k. if you're just rec riding and just a budget concern all the way. I personally would go the way I recommended as mentioned before.SBT doesn't use Nikasil and therefore it robs performance. Instead they put a metal sleeve in it.
    Bottom end:
    crank setting in water and rusted, one rod was frozen up but i worked it free, Would anyone concider reusing this crank? Sbt? Crankworks? Used?

Crankworks or Hotrod Cranks would be the preffered choice unless U go O.E.M. on the crank. Don't reuse this crank you will def. have a problem, used would be o.k. if U get it from a reliable source.

I want to do this as inexpensive as possible but not at the expense of doing a reliable job. I don't have to have the best way, just one that works.
    Good luck

+1
    Welcome to GH. First off, find out "why" the motor let go. Replace pulse lines and consider pre-mix. Carb rebuild, engine rebuild, i would check every hose in that ski also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Welcome to GH. First off, find out "why" the motor let go. Replace pulse lines and consider pre-mix. Carb rebuild, engine rebuild, i would check every hose in that ski also.
    You know Woody, I would follow that thinking but would take it one step futher. I mean you have basicly said it all right in a couple of sentences. In my mind, there is no sence of trying to patch this problem, but to go all the way through it from top to bottom to eliminate any problem.

That being said, the only thing that I would suggest is to take it one step futher and go to the 1300 rather than a rebuilt 1200. All of the labor is the same price reguardless if the commander does it himself or farms it out. The only difference is the components and perhaps some different head work. Talk about more bang for the buck.... this is the perfect opportunity to make a conversion, especially if he renicks two cylinders and replaces 3 pistons anyway. The crank and carbs are the same, and they both have to be rebuilt.

In any case, it is worth considering especially since there are plenty of good used components out there. Commander, you may wind up spending an extra 2-300 bucks getting 1300 components, but look at the resale and all of the extra fun you get in return.

It is something to think about.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    You know Woody, I would follow that thinking but would take it one step futher. I mean you have basicly said it all right in a couple of sentences. In my mind, there is no sence of trying to patch this problem, but to go all the way through it from top to bottom to eliminate any problem.

That being said, the only thing that I would suggest is to take it one step futher and go to the 1300 rather than a rebuilt 1200. All of the labor is the same price reguardless if the commander does it himself or farms it out. The only difference is the components and perhaps some different head work. Talk about more bang for the buck.... this is the perfect opportunity to make a conversion, especially if he renicks two cylinders and replaces 3 pistons anyway. The crank and carbs are the same, and they both have to be rebuilt.

In any case, it is worth considering especially since there are plenty of good used components out there. Commander, you may wind up spending an extra 2-300 bucks getting 1300 components, but look at the resale and all of the extra fun you get in return.

It is something to think about.
    I agree Salty but he wants to keep it a 1200. Just got off the phone with John and it will take a complete rebuild on this one. He wants to keep a stock 1200 but yeah, a 1300 upgrade would be nice to do also.

BTW....good to see you posting again.

Thanks Guys, and thanks for the time on the phone Kevin. I have ruled out SBT, just because there pricks on the phone, and I like the challenge with some help.

I think 2 used jugs are the way to go for me. Way cheaper than welding and recoating. 3 new piston kits.

I'm still up in the air about the crank, I know now I will need a new/different one. I would like to find a good used one around 300.00, as this ski is just not worth dumping extra cash into. Anybody have one?

Noticed a little damage in the upper case tonight while I was cleaning it up. Slight nick in the journal and some contact marks near the intake. Thoughts?

Also for sale 1 core jug, 1 repairable jug and a core crank.

Update:

Cases out getting some welding, used crank is here, used jugs came in also. Found some 1211 and seals local. Almost time to assemble the bottom end.

Anything to measure or check on the crank that might not be obvious? Also I hear putting a drop of green locktite on the bearings during installation is a good idea? Should I smear some 1211 on the seals as well?

Been on the bench for a while, but time to start moving again, bottom end is done.

Looking for 3 piston kits and bearings, where would be my best place to find them?

Thread Information