Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: computer issues

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar

computer issues

i have a dell computer that got a worm last Saturday i ran all the virus stuff i had and it cleaned it for the day. sunday i got on it. it was coming up with pop ups. it was back. ran windows defender it said it was clean. i was on here and there were pop ups. firefox closed by its self and the back ground was green and it had a black box in the middle that said your system is infeted. so i ran spybot it said that it could not clear one of the trojans because it was in use. asked me if i would let it run on start up so i did. reset it. same thing. so i turned it off so my friend could look at it. but now it wont start up at all. not even in safe mode. it freezes on the part in safe mode were it shows what is wrong and will not go any father. let me know any tricks to get it back on. and in to safe mode to fix it.
    Thanks

The easiest way would be to take the hard drive out, plug it into another computer and run virus scanner and malware cleaner ( I prefer Malwarebytes) from the other machine.

The registry might be hosed, If so, I would pull all of your personal files off and format and reinstall windows. You can possibly fix it manually but it's generally easier to do the reinstall.

+1
    I had this exact same thing hit me last Saturday!!! Do the popups show fake alerts for upgrading your security software? Sounds like the same one.

I had a computer guru friend get mine clean. I also have a Dell - an Inspiron E1505. You have to hit F11 on startup, which will pull up a menu showing the various partitions on the hard drive. Mine had four. One of them will be named something like "restore to backup" or something similar.

When you choose that, it will format the main part of your hard drive and reinstall the original software, exactly as the day you bought it. It was the only way I could get mine working again.

If I opened task manager, it would shut it down. If I started Norton Antivirus, it would shut it down. I couldn't even run regedit. Good luck, bro.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    I had this exact same thing hit me last Saturday!!! Do the popups show fake alerts for upgrading your security software? Sounds like the same one.

I had a computer guru friend get mine clean. I also have a Dell - an Inspiron E1505. You have to hit F11 on startup, which will pull up a menu showing the various partitions on the hard drive. Mine had four. One of them will be named something like "restore to backup" or something similar.

When you choose that, it will format the main part of your hard drive and reinstall the original software, exactly as the day you bought it. It was the only way I could get mine working again.

If I opened task manager, it would shut it down. If I started Norton Antivirus, it would shut it down. I couldn't even run regedit. Good luck, bro.
    i have a frend who had the same thing happen to his. with the upgrading his spyware stuff. he had to have his wiped and had to start over.. did you loose the stuff you had on your computer?

+1
    I'm fortunate that with this fairly new computer, I decided to keep everything in one directory under "my documents", so I didn't lose any of my files or pictures. I was able to copy/past them to two thumb drives. But I did have to reinstall all my 3rd party software. On the upside, my computer now runs very, very fast because I've left a bunch of unused software off the system and streamlined the startup program process.

Do a Google search for "Trojan:Win32/PrivacyCenter". That's the trojan that's getting everybody lately. Microsoft has a good blog about it on their site too.

+1
    Time for an Apple.

+1
    Here's the best writeup I've found yet:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...FPrivacyCenter

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Time for an Apple.
    i know what you mean. i want an apple so bad. i just dont have the funds for one. we use them at our church for all of our audio/ visual stuff and i love them.
    thanks for the info

+1
    what windows version are you using?

If you are using XP, (vista might be supported but doubtful) this is the best cleaner out there.

http://www.combofix.org/

It's not the most user friendly but it works, and works well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information