Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One battery tender... two batterys

Okay, I have my battery tender on one of my skis batteries and just swap it about once a week. Since both are disconnected from the skis can I wire the batteries together and use the same charger to keep them both charged? As in a small wire from the positive of one to the other battery and same for the negative and just keep the charger in one ski?

If you have both batteries hooked together and one gets low but the other is fine when the charger kicks on it could over charge the battery and boil the acid out . Just a thought though who knows

Hmm good point.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    As long as the two batteries are of the same type (regular lead-acid, Gel, and AGM are different types), and the batteries are of the same approximate age and condition, you can parallel them.

That said, a second Battery Tender is not very expensive, and gives you more flexibility.

Do not try to connect the batteries together when they are in separate skis. The long wires would present a possible short circuit or fire hazard, especially if something was to fall on them, or otherwise damage the wires.

Take the batteries out of the skis. Put them side by side on a shelf somewhere out of the way, where nothing can fall onto them.

You can wire them together, positive to positive, negative to negative. Use medium or heavy gauge wire, not lightweight thin stuff. Make sure the wire connections are clean and tight.

Protect the battery tops with a small sheet of rubber, plastic, or wood.

You need the wiring between the two batteries to be heavy enough that there will be almost no voltage drop across the wires during charging.

If the state of charge between the two batteries differs, the stronger battery will transfer charge to the weaker, until the two have the same level of charge. The battery tender (or other brand) will see the two batteries as one larger battery, and will recharge and maintain the pair properly.

Since you have been charging your batteries every other week, both should have a full charge when you connect them together. There should be almost no sparking since the two batteries have the same voltage level.

One is a year older than the other... guess Ill let the $8 go for another charger.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Runner View Post
    One is a year older than the other... guess Ill let the $8 go for another charger.

Big spender

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd800XP View Post
    Big spender

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd800XP View Post
    Big spender
    Considering I am not working right now...$1 is a lot lol

Quote Originally Posted by X-Runner View Post
    Considering I am not working right now...$1 is a lot lol

Well I hear that.

+1
    its not that big deal to just charge them alternating, just swap the wires back and forth.
    not really necessary to charge them that often. once a month each overnight. keep them inside where they wont get cold.
    if they are AGM bateries they really dont even need that. acid batteries will lose their charge slowly, but if they are in good condition, they will recharge fine. if they are getting crappy, then they wont hold a charge as long as a month, but thats a sign to get new batteries anyway!!!!!...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information