Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User

Battery Size for GPRXP

Just wondering if anyone has run the smaller size battery for size restriction? I have had 1000cc sport bikes that use a battery even smaller then your normal size jet ski battery. I understand there is load when its in the water as it has to turn the impeller in the water.
    Anyone?

+1
    Henn,
    I'm currently using the "PC625" based upon recommendations on this forum. It is smaller than the YB30CL-B that comes stock with the RXP. It is 10lbs lighter, and much smaller.

This comes highly recommended by a bunch of folks, and they DO know what they are doing.

My opinion.. I do NOT LIKE IT. More than once while out of the water, I've had this smaller batter strain to crank the ski, after cranking a few times. It just doesn't have the reserve of the larger style battery. If all you do, is pull your ski off the trailer, crank it once, ride and maybe crank it again after a few minutes, of hard riding, you will NEVER see a problem.

However, I find that this is not the case when I ride with folks. Somebody is always stopping and starting. Sometimes just using the ski to maintain their position in a current. If you do this with the 625, you may end up depleting it's reserve quickly, as I have already done. The next time it's convenient, I'll be swapping BACK over to the larger 25lb battery.

If you ride, start/stop frequently, go with the stock size battery. If you only crank once in a while, and don't feel it's necessary to crank your ski very often, then go with the smaller battery. That's just my opinion.

Banned User
    great answer, thanks very much.

think ill be going with stock size even though I ride long periods between stop and start, you never know when you may have to stop not by choice (Police...helping a friend....girl in bikini needing assistance)

+1
    I also use the larger battery. Having no juice when racing or rec riding is the last thing I want to worry about. I use an aftermarket dry cell battery. You can mount it sideways upside down it doesnt care. There is a price to pay for that convienience.

Banned User
    I am hoping to fit the battery on a bracket that I made between the motor and the gas tank, but I have to get the motor in to see how much room I have, if It wont fit then the electronics will go there and the battery will go in the back, we will see...

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    i use a deka 16 series( yamaha size) i have been on plenty of group rides all season with tons of starting and stopping, and no problems what so ever. however, my motor/sc is stock. the cca rating of this battery is almost the same as the oem seadoo battery.

+1
    I've used the PC625 in every jetsk i have owned. Never had that issue, but then I never had a 4 stroke. I know that I have used this battery in a 4 stroke for 13 hours with no problems, but thats the extent of my experience with it in a 4 stroke.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Been running this small Exide since day one with no issues. It had been in my 2stroke for 2 years before I moved it here and still running strong. Its never seen a charger ever or given me a low volt on start up. We usually see 10 to 15 starts every Sunday. Its slightly smaller then the Yami 2 stroke ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunther & Conversion 002.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	165381  

Banned User
    what are the specs on the exide as far as cranking power and amp and such? I will be storing my machine in the garage with a battery tender on it all the time aswell, so battery should always be fresh always. That is the same spot I am putting my battery, just have to figure where to put my electronics without having to extend anything (other then the positive/ground).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by henn View Post
    what are the specs on the exide as far as cranking power and amp and such? I will be storing my machine in the garage with a battery tender on it all the time aswell, so battery should always be fresh always. That is the same spot I am putting my battery, just have to figure where to put my electronics without having to extend anything (other then the positive/ground).
    Have no idea and would have to get a mirror down there. Probably about the same as the Yami 2stroke. Its never really cold here so that might be an issue also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information