downunder123
    +1

Electrical Problem Genesis I 2001 FICH

Hi
    Recently I have noticed (while ski was parked) that my MFI went blank (no power). When I have tried to start it or use bilge pump, it was totally electrically dead. I have measured the battery on the + rail above the electrical box and measured fine 12.5V.
    Eventually I have pressed the button on the electrical box and all came alive and good (the MFI lost its data, clock and distance traveled but NOT the overall hours of use). After a week, still parked at the same place it did it again, same symptoms. Pressed the reset button and all good again. I took the ski yesterday for a ride and twice (once starting and other time when stopping the engine) the electric died. Both times about 5 sec latter WITHOUT me pressing the reset button, the MFI (and all electric) reboot and all good again (clock did NOT reset those times!). The ski was going fine and no problems during the ride at all.
    This morning I have noticed that ski has no electric again. Measured the battery and it is 12.4V. This time I didn’t press the reset button but have opened the electrical box. Inside I have found that somebody has done some repair job (it seems that the box was submerged under the water at some stage). The + terminal on PCB was corroded and replaced with a new floating electrical terminal bar. All red/purple wires were shorted together (6 of them) while two red/white were shorted on another terminal.
    Now, while ski is still electrically dead I can measure the correct 12.5V on the red/white terminal but nothing on the red/purple terminal. I have looked at the wiring schematics that good people made available (thank you) but it seem that applies only to the carbureted 2000 year model (non EMM)……
    I will not press the reset button this time so I can further fault find.
    Could I have a problem with the EMM? What does the reset switch on electrical board do to the electrical system? Any ideas?
    To all Polaris people out there and wider, I wish you Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!
    Cheers

+1
    Although it is hard to follow the scematic,the R/pur wire does power part of the EMM ,but is also powers the start/stop circuits ,including the regulator/relay and the switches on the handle bars.

As you mentioned,it pop's the reset/ (which is a circuit breaker) with no action from you (also when riding the circuit went almost shorted,enough to stop ), I would suspect one of the R/pur wires is rubbing to a ground wire or the engine block somewhere. Check all the R/pur wires very well.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

downunder123
    +1
    Have traced back red/purple cables and they seem ok. I am thinking that the solenoid in the el. box may be faulty but not sure because of the difference in the electircal drawings (need Genesis I electrical), so I could have been misled by the drawing.................

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bspanovic View Post
    Have traced back red/purple cables and they seem ok.

I am thinking that the solenoid in the el. box may be faulty but not sure because of the difference in the electircal drawings (need Genesis I electrical), so I could have been misled by the drawing...
    The solenoid is unlikely to cause the overload circuit breaker (Reset button) to trip. Possible, I suppose, but seems unlikely.

Sometimes the Reset button itself can go bad (internal corrosion/cracks/arcing), so don't assume it is good. It may be fine, but I have replaced failed Polaris circuit breakers in the past.

On your 2001 Genesis i, there are two Reset buttons.
    One is rated for 5 Amps, and feeds the Red/White power wiring (Fuel Pump).
    The other is rated for 15 Amps, and feeds the Red/Purple wiring (everything but the fuel pump).

Is it possible somebody switched the wires for the two breakers?

Can you post some clear photos of the repaired wiring inside the electrical box?

It is possible the repairs were done poorly, or wired incorrectly, which will cause problems, of course.

You may want to purchase a replacement for the damaged electrical box parts, and return the wiring to factory specification. Good used parts are often not expensive.

Reliability on the water is paramount when repairing these machines. You do not want to rely on shortcuts and marginal repairs.

You can find lots of useful info at the link below.

downunder123
    +1
    Thanx K... I had another look and found intermittant Reset switch at the corroded terminals. I will replace both switches and wires. It seems that somebody had a go with the el. box before me but now is the chance to be rewired as it should be.
    Thanx once again
    Cheers

Thread Information