Thread: XL700 show bike

XL700 show bike

After a long while lurking I am finally taking the time to post some pics and info on my project ski. The ski was an ex rental 1999 XL700 on the island of Barbados, that had seen some hard days. Unfortunately I do not have any of the before pics. When I collected the ski it had been sitting on the beach for a couple of years with no engine and grass growing in the foot wells. I took the ski to my body shop and stripped it down to a bare hull with no fittings. At this point I took my grinder and removed all of the previous crappy beach repairs that were done with polyester resin. I then repaired the repairs using West System epoxy . The entire shell was blocked and primed. This process took about a 2 weeks!!

I wanted to do a really intricate paint job so I opted to use some fairly large flakes. To achive the finished color the hull was first painted in base coat black. After 15 min I applied a photo reactive flake from a company called Alsa Corp in Los Angeles. The next color was a medium sized red flake that was too large to come through the regular gun, so that was applied with the primer gun.
    The final flake is a very large diamond flake that is about 1/4" across. This flake is so large that it was applied dry over the still wet clear from the red flake. Two coats of clear were applied over the last flake to set them. At this point I already had about five coats of clear which was already too much material. I alowed it to dry and then placed the hull out in the sun for a week. The hull was then wet sanded BY HAND! with 500 grit water sand. The entire hull was masked again and three more coats of clear were applied. Once again the same process, the hull was wet sanded with 500 grit and placed outside to cure for a week. The large flakes are so big that even after three coats of clear applied over them they still felt like big chunks of grit in the clear!! In the end it took 12 coats of clear to bury them!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 011.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	165382  

After all of the clear had been applied and a couple of weeks passed to allow all of the solvents to escape the really hard work began. The bike was then block sanded with 1000 then 2000 wet sand and polished back to a luster. In total the paint work took 240 hours to complete. The side fairings are airbrushed to look like carbon Fiber as well as the seats and the skulls are airbrushed on as well. If you look closely you can see where i filled the spots under the steering where the reserve switch was.

Name:	Jet ski 013.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	165383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 014.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	165384  

A few more pics.

Name:	Jet ski 004.jpg 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	165385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 010.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	165386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 019.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	165387  

Now I was ready to start putting everything back together. before I installed the pump and the nozzle, intake grate etc. I sent everything out for red powdercoat. I knew I would be pulling out the small 700 engine and replacing it with something bigger so I also too the opportunity to install a straight pipe as well.

Name:	Jet ski 012.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	165392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 007.jpg 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	165393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 009.jpg 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	165394  

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Nice work

If any of you would like more details I would be happy to share.
    Now that the engine was out of it I repainted the inside in bright white to have a clean look as it was all brown and stained from the previous years as a beat up rental. Once that was completed it was time to start rebuilding a 1200 65U to drop in it. Mind you in Barbados no one ever brought in anything in 1999 bigger than an 800 as there was no private market, all the bikes were rentals.
    So I got on a cruise ship and went to St. Maarten and brought one back with me stripped and parted out and wrapped in sponge into suitcases.6 in all!! (no weight restrictions on the cruise ship)
    I seperated each part on the engine and sand blasted the exterior and repainted each piece individually as I wanted it to look factory and not have all the gaskets painted. ( the key to looking good is in the details) I shaved 1 mil off of the head and port and polished the intakes and block to a mirror finish.

Name:	Jet ski 008.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	165395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 024.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	165396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 023.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	165397  

The porting and polishing took alot of hours as well I didnt clock myself as I was busy with another project and worked on the polishing inbetween. Once all of that was completed I reassembled the engine with new bearings, gaskets, carbon reeds etc.

Name:	Jet ski 025.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	165398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 022.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	165399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 021.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	165400  

As this bike was a 700 it was designed for one muffler on the left and the battery went on the right. WhenI first installed the engine I installed it with just one muffler on the left. It was great for about the first week. But the NOISE!! I couldn't take it any more so I had to install another silencer. Also I felt like I wasnt getting enough back pressure??
    So now I had to relocate the battery, but where? So I welded up something out of aluminum and powder coated it white. I then bolted it to the back of the bulkhead. This now freed up the right side for me to install the second silencer. ahhh what a difference. it still sounds racey as it has a straight exit out the rear just not deafening!! I then used blue silicone hose to fabricate the hump over the pump.

Name:	Jet ski 003.jpg 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	165401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	165402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 001.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	165403  

This bike is primarily used for wave jumping I will post those pics later. I have some mods planned for next year. I would like to install a welded and trued crank and bump the compression up to 160 170 psi. I know I would have to run race gas. But this bike gets used only on a sunday so the added $$$ doesnt matter. I am hoping with the added boost in power I would be able to drop my 13/19 prop and run a 14/20 any thoughts on that? I can't give you guys an exact speed as I havent clocked it. But it is alot faster than the Yamaha VX110's

Name:	Jet ski 005.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	165404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski 006.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	165405  

+1
    Looks good, sounds like it was a fun poject.

Thread Information