12-25-2009, 02:50 PM #1
Starting problem with 951 in '98 GSX LTD
My GSX LTD had been running fine. Left it unused for about a
month and it now won't start.
MPEM beeps, then when you hit start the coil that feeds the spark plugs
makes a loud buzzing type noise and the starting motor does not turn over.
I was able to jump the solenoid and turn the motor over, now that is not possible.
Where should I start looking??
12-25-2009, 04:23 PM #2
check your fuses and grounds.
the main ground going from the motor to the battery have a bad habit of corroding.
12-25-2009, 04:33 PM #3
12-25-2009, 05:09 PM #4
Yes, that ground from motor to battery is a problem. I took it off and
made sure it was clean and tight.
Battery is recent, say 6 months, plus I have it on a battery tender.
12-25-2009, 05:50 PM #5
Did you check all fuses? Did you check the wire from the seleniod to the starter?
12-25-2009, 06:03 PM #6
wire from solenoid to starter is new and double checked. I have two solenoids and both exhibit same symptoms.
The fuse in the rear electrical compartment next to solenoid appears good.
I also looked at the fuses in the front MPEM. I will go over all of this again
just to be sure.
thanks for all the input! I wish you guys were here in So FL, I'd by the drinks and have a fix it party!
12-25-2009, 06:12 PM #7
12-25-2009, 07:10 PM #8
- Join Date
- Feb 2006
- Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
Tom, the ground cable corrodes under the heat shrink tubing. Cut it and see if the wire is shot underneath, under the crimp. Or get a jumper cable and run a prallel ground between the engine and battery ground.
It could also be your battery. They can go at any time. The starter and solenoid is last, because you are clicking, it sounds more like cables or battery.
12-25-2009, 08:30 PM #9
all of that checked
I'll swap the battery from my Kawasaki, however this is a fairly new
high end AGM battery on a tender.
Why does the "coil" that feeds the spark plugs make that buzzing sound?
Low voltage?? Or is it bad? May be original from when the ski was made
12-25-2009, 10:50 PM #10
+1 on the ground cable corroding under the coating.
now that i think about it, my xpl did the same thing once shortly after beaching it for about 5mins. didn't turn over and made a loud "buzz" sound from the electrical box. turned out to be just a bad connection at the battery. both cables where good and tight but still didn't make a connection. had to take them off and scrap them with a flat head to make a good enough connetion to get it to turn over. point of the story double check all connections and battery voltage.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By RDB in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 7Last Post: 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
By keith neff in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 08-24-2007, 03:33 AM
By flyngixxer in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 3Last Post: 08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
By johnnyegg23 in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 6Last Post: 07-28-2007, 01:33 AM
By rxpvic in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 0Last Post: 07-03-2007, 03:15 PM