GP1200R Wont Cut Off

Watsup everyone,
    I have a 2000 gp1200r and the battery decided to finally die on me. I went out and got a new one and put it in and after the ski started i went to cut it off and it did nothing. The ski kept running and i have no idea why. It never did this before just after i put the new battery in. I went out for a ride the other day and i started it up before i left and it cut right off when i wanted it to but after the ride when i was flushing it out it did it again to me. What is causing this?
    thanks

+1
    One of the things that it could be is a lean condition caused by an air leak some where on your engine. Usually it is around your carb bank or one of the seals where the crank comes out of the crank case... front or back.

Some of the symptoms are

1. The engine will die easily when you pull the kill switch while the boat is in the water, but it will run when the boat is on a trailer when you pull the switch. It is called "desieling". The short term fix is to choke the engine and pull the throttle wide open. This will flood the engine and kill it.

2. If you spray with a can of WD-40 on your seals or carb bank the rpms will increase. This is because you are adding fuel to the extra air that your boat is sucking in.

If either of these two symptoms are true, then you may be heading for a lean seizure on a piston. The best thing to do is to leave your boat on the trailer until you can find some one to help you figure exactly what/where your problem is. One thing is for sure with 2 strokes, they do not get better on their own, and the more you ride them while they are not right, the more it will cost to fix them.

yea, it has happened on the trailer both times and was fine in the water. thanks for the help and advice

i just don't understand how it has never happened before and just now happened right after i put the new battery in

Was the tank almost empty after the ride when it happened?

no, i had about half a tank left

+1
    I doubt that one problem has anything to do with the other. It is probably just a coiencidence.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    I doubt that one problem has anything to do with the other. It is probably just a coiencidence.
    +1

I had this occur on my xr1800 jetboat. The engine wouldn't shut off and it kept revving higher and higher. I pulled both keys, ripped off the plug boots and yanked the fuses in the ebox and it still kept going. I was able to kill it by choking the motor out. I talked with the yamaha certified technician and he said it was caused by carbon build up in the case. It happened to me only once though.

Quote Originally Posted by fozziez28 View Post
    I had this occur on my xr1800 jetboat. The engine wouldn't shut off and it kept revving higher and higher. I pulled both keys, ripped off the plug boots and yanked the fuses in the ebox and it still kept going. I was able to kill it by choking the motor out. I talked with the yamaha certified technician and he said it was caused by carbon build up in the case. It happened to me only once though.
    yea thats exactly what is happening to me but it has happened twice so far after i have taken the ski out to flush it out but it does fine in the water

Thread Information