Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 96 GTX Waterbox

96 GTX Waterbox

I have a 96 GTX that has seized two pistons in pto cylinder only. I have rebuilt the carbs , checked oil pump . I have traced a couple of problems that might have contributed to the pto piston seizures. The water regulator on waterbox had hole in bellow , and a short tube in water box is loose and rolling around inside. Has anyone had this cause overheating in pto cylinder causing seizure ? When engine was running it started fine ,idled and accellerated fine until wot when it seized without warning.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    In 96 the vendor BRP used to manufacture the waterboxes put very short, small, welds on the baffles inside. The result is they came loose. You can cut the box in half and make the needed repairs, or just find a 97-99 box.

This probably didn't cause your seizures. Have you pressure tested the engine to see if the rear crank seal isn't leaking? This is more likely the cause. Or...you still have fuel starvation issues. Have you removed the fuel selector switch and cleaned it out? All fuel lines replaced? Stock prop? Done wot plug chops to confirm rear cylinder is getting enough fuel? I.E. Chocolate brown color on the spark plug porcelin insulator?

Welcome to GH!

96 gtx

I have changed the fuel lines and cleaned and checked fuel selector switch . I did not have block off plates to check bottom end crank seals . I was hoping the water box was the cause . I have pulled the engine out and I am debating splitting bottom end and rebuild it myself . I just wanted some input on some of the problems I found during disasembly so as not to repeat the seizure . Thanks for your help 96xpss . I was afraid that was not the cause.

Well, it's possible, but most of the time the front cylinder seizes when there is an exhaust restriction. The loose baffle could have caused a decrease in backpressure, and this could cause a seizure, but like I said, it's a long shot.

What you can do is replace the waterbox, and go out and make some passes and plug chops to check fuel mixture @ wot. This will tell you if there is still a problem, without having to go through the hassle of pressure testing the cases and/or redoing the bottom end.

Are you confident in your machinist as far as him setting up your clearances properly when the honing was done?

+1
    i have water boxes here, if you need a good one.

did you rebuild the carbs before, or after your siezure? did you use OE mikuni kits, or cheap aftermarket ones. ( i only use, and recomend genuine mikuni parts here in my shop). the 2 stroke seadoos are known for fuel issues, and lean conditions. you should also replace all your fuel lines.

pictures would help greatly on what happend to your engine. it could be an over heat issue, lean condition, water injestion, or even just many hours, and worn out.

carb rebuild

The carbs were rebuilt with genuine mikuni parts as well as replaced needle and seat . I can post some pics to get an understanding whats been happening with pto cyl.

+1
    pics would help narrow it down.

Shoot pics of the sides of your seized pistons. This will help the most. 360 degrees.

link to pictures of piston damage

Here is a link to pictures of the piston ,cylinder that shows what I have been fighting. This piston has approx. 4 -5 hours .
    http://picasaweb.google.com/rghalcom...eat=directlink

Nice pics. You are getting a lot of blow-by on your pistons, which is either from excessive clearance or too-fine stones for honing. Or improper break-in. I set mine up at .006" from the skirts (two stroke pistons taper) and hone with 200 grit stones. Then clean the residual grit in the crosshatches with transmission fluid. Clean until the rag no longer turns gray. If you want excellent ring seat (and performance) you need to use the Dumonde Tech break-in oil next time.

The rear piston is seizing from lean fuel or excessive load. Are you running the stock prop? If yes, then it is an air leak, or a crank/counter balance shaft bearing failing.

The fact that you are using WSM pistons doesn't help either. There is a reason why they are the cheapest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information