Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Polaris Octane

  1. #1
    Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lethbridge, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,721

    Polaris Octane

    How hard is it to find a Polaris Octane? They look like a blast! And yes, bowsniper, that is one ski I may have to drive across the country to get!

    Found one in CA. Little pricey though.

    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...522631125.html


  2. #2
    bowsniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    macomb,michigan
    Posts
    5,896
    +1
    6
    Those are sweet. I think I'd rather have a snowmobile. Here, use this to get there to buy it! This is a sweet ski.Looks like a Pro 785 on skis! lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris snowmobile1.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	165603  

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    How hard is it to find a Polaris Octane?...
    They are around. Often you have to hunt for them, and bide your time.

    When one does come up for sale, it often doesn't last long.

    Keep in mind that the Octane was originally only sold to racers, not the general public. That means a good percentage of them have been raced, or at least owned by racers.

    That means you need to evaluate each machine individually, as there may be changes from factory spec, or even hull damage (racers do bump into things).

    Polaris also did some updates and refinements from year to year, so again you need to do your research.

  4. #4
    Race, wreck, repeat delagem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer, NY
    Posts
    728
    +1
    2
    Cheapest one I've seen in awhile. $3200 in York, PA. That's what I paid for mine, too.

    http://york.craigslist.org/boa/1507567836.html

    When I bought mine a few years ago, I had numerous quotes to ship mine 2,300 miles for $500. Ultimately I paid $700 to get it hot-shotted from Montana to NY. www.uship.com

    2003 and 04 had the 2" shorter handpole, much better.
    Last edited by delagem; 12-28-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: I'm not wearing any pants!

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Cheapest one I've seen in awhile. $3200 in York, PA. That's what I paid for mine, too.

    http://york.craigslist.org/boa/1507567836.html

    ...2003 and 04 had the 2" shorter handpole, much better.
    "...umi alum pole, lowered hood, lowered bracket, Factory Racing B pipe, Tau-Ceti flame arrestors, Straight bars, quick steer, magnum pump with stainless prop..."

    Would the UMI aftermarket pole be the same as the stock hand pole?

    What does 'lowered hood' refer to?

  6. #6
    Race, wreck, repeat delagem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer, NY
    Posts
    728
    +1
    2
    That's all the standard stuff the Octane comes with. Except for maybe the "lowered hood, lowered bracket"... Never heard that one before.

    Honestly, other than checking for major damage, they've all pretty much got the same problems. Carb manifold tends to strip, pipe tends to crack, water leaks from rideplate/pump mount. Probs with Cdi, LR module; stock rideplate (carbon fiber!) sucks. Warped cover on e-box from the way they mounted the fire extinguisher. Battery tray tends to dig into gas tank(easy fix, just bend the offending tab).

    2002 models had a poor hood latching system and the longer handpole.

    Please don't let my list discourage you! I love my Octane, it's what I ride 90% of the time. And it's fairly reliable, too. Only totally let me down once, smoked cdi. (Randy had another CDI in my hands in about 16 hours, all the way from WA to FL!) Another time, the LR module cooked, so the bilge pump stayed on constantly, even when the engine was off.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Posts
    451
    +1
    2

    Octane

    Hi Guys
    Sorry I have away from my PC I have been out of town working.
    I see your looking for a Octane there great I had one for a few years but sold it. I can help you on the Octane that your looking at In California its only 20 miles from where im going to spend new years I have Family there If you like I can go by a look at it for you. You know check stuff like the hull for cracks, prop, pump ext it looks very clean.

    PM me I will be around a computor till the 30th then going camping and dirtbike riding then back in the area on the 4th then home to AZ on the 6th.

    Thanks Doug

  8. #8
    Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lethbridge, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,721
    Quote Originally Posted by lovehavenfun View Post
    Hi Guys
    Sorry I have away from my PC I have been out of town working.
    I see your looking for a Octane there great I had one for a few years but sold it. I can help you on the Octane that your looking at In California its only 20 miles from where im going to spend new years I have Family there If you like I can go by a look at it for you. You know check stuff like the hull for cracks, prop, pump ext it looks very clean.

    PM me I will be around a computor till the 30th then going camping and dirtbike riding then back in the area on the 4th then home to AZ on the 6th.

    Thanks Doug
    Thanks for the offer, but I am not really able to spend that much on a ski at this time. By the time I buy it, get it back here, and import it I would be into it for way too much! I was mostly interested in how rare these things are in case a deal ever happens to come along locally. But who knows, one day I may have to go on vacation to So Cal or FL and if I happen to find an Octane for sale you bet I would find a way to fit it in the back of a truck (or buy a trailer too)

  9. #9
    It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hurst tx
    Posts
    473
    you can keep it at my place in Texas. i will take of it for you. ride it some so it does not sit.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Posts
    451
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    Thanks for the offer, but I am not really able to spend that much on a ski at this time. By the time I buy it, get it back here, and import it I would be into it for way too much! I was mostly interested in how rare these things are in case a deal ever happens to come along locally. But who knows, one day I may have to go on vacation to So Cal or FL and if I happen to find an Octane for sale you bet I would find a way to fit it in the back of a truck (or buy a trailer too)

    No Problem if you change your mind or iff the guy lowers his price let me know I go out there once a month or so.
    Good Hunting

    Doug

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2004 polaris octane 4 sale, Brand New Novi 48mm and More
    By superstock1986 in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 05:20 PM
  2. 2004 polaris octane for sale, Brand new Novi 48mm carbs
    By superstock1986 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
  3. wtb polaris octane
    By burton9010 in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 08:42 AM
  4. polaris octane
    By octane in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2006, 02:19 PM
  5. What cover for a Polaris Octane
    By Hydrotoys in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •