+1

how much does beaching hurt performance?

i found a nice 05 gpr on ebay with 35 hours on it but the owner has been beaching it. i would jump on this one if he hadnt been doing this. ive always anchored my ski's. does it really matter or not?

Quote Originally Posted by 03stx12f View Post
    i found a nice 05 gpr on ebay with 35 hours on it but the owner has been beaching it. i would jump on this one if he hadnt been doing this. ive always anchored my ski's. does it really matter or not?
    honestly it's something youd have to take a close look at. "beaching" is widely defined. For one person it could mean running your ski at 20mph straight up onto the beach like the rental guys in the bahamas, for another it could mean hopping off in knee deep water, and gently lifting it up onto the beach. Also depends on what you are beaching it on; if you are on the west coast of FL and beach your ski on the ultra-fine baby powder sand, you wont notice as much wear on the hull as one being beached on a more harsh, thick grained sand.

have the owner take some pics specifically of the center of the hull, that's the best way to determine if it's been beached to death or not.

smbstyle is absolutely right. 'Beaching' covers such a wide range of situations and could be no problem, or could be horendous! I 'beach' my ski as carefully as possible, simply because the sea is often too rough where I ski to use an anchor, but catching stones and small rocks is always a risk. The botttom of these skis is extremely heavy duty along the keel area and even fairly deep scratches don't detract from the strength, even if they don't look pretty. The worry is if anything off the beach enters the pump and causes internal damage, and even sand will cause wear and tear to the wear ring and impeller. It will always be a risk you take, and it can be hard to really test before buying. A photo may help, but take as good a look as possible into the pump tunnel and impeller areas and try to look for any signs of damage. Good luck.

African-American
    +1
    just use epoxy putty (pratley / marinetex) to fix the gouges and scratches

Thread Information