Thread: Rxpx paint

Rxpx paint

I had someone hit my 08 rxpx with one of my other skis. it cracked the fiberglass on the side by the foot well. I took it to a guy to fix he fixed the fiberglass and tried to paint it but he says he cant get the gellcoat to match. He got it from seadoo. He said that he called seadoo and they told him he has to paint the whole ski. anyone know how I can get around that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy5752 View Post
    I had someone hit my 08 rxpx with one of my other skis. it cracked the fiberglass on the side by the foot well. I took it to a guy to fix he fixed the fiberglass and tried to paint it but he says he cant get the gellcoat to match. He got it from seadoo. He said that he called seadoo and they told him he has to paint the whole ski. anyone know how I can get around that.
    Nope. that silver is almost impossible to match.

Unfortunately he's not lying to you, metallic colors are near impossible to match, and the more metallic in the paint the harder it is. And that RXPX grey is one of those colors with A LOT of metallic in it. The glimmer and angle of the metallic in the paint has so much to do with how the color appears to the eye. And when you respray a section, the metallic in the paint just never lays down the same. Things from the angle you spray at, to the weather, just too much to imagine affect how the metallic in the paint lays down. Then factor in that it's gel-coat, and is sprayed into the mold, THEN the hull is made on top of that, going to be hard to match as you've found.

Repainting the whole thing is a little much though, at the MOST do one side, you only see one side at a time, ya know . As long as it really is the same color, with the same metallic mix, etc... You should be able to get away with painting just a section where the edges of the new paint are broken up by a sticker, or rolled edge, or rub-rail or something. Any section where you blend the new paint into the OEM paint is where its going to show the most. It may not be perfect, but you should be able to get it close, although it may take a few try's..

I used to paint cars at my dad's restoration/collision repair shop when I was younger. We would cuss these new metallic paints. I've repainted bumper covers 3-4 times to get even a "close enough" match...

I'm about to have to do some paintwork on my RXPX, I'm going back with all black I think, I don't even want to attempt to try and blend that metallic

+1
    Paint mine when you paint yours please!

You know the brand Smart? It is a brand that belongs to the Mercedes. There is a gray one that is similar. Then you just adjust.

Thread Information