Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BUDS Software

EZ Dock of Long Island
    +1
    there's a serial cable that comes out of the computer and goes into the MPI protocol unit. out of that comes a harness which connects to the ski... can read everything... history, rpm profiles, throttle position, faults, diagnostics, can go thru auto-test of every sensor and feature, etc etc...

there's also a USB MPI II or something (i forget the exact MPI naming of it) ... and with the USB model i think there's something else u can do, i just forget what it does over the standard serial...

software is for dealers thru the dealer website and that's where we download all the update files for the MANY versions that BUDS has...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    This is the best way to protect software. Its basically a hardware key/interface. Some expensive programs require a usb dongle key. These can still be defeated with some success with software changes/cracks. When the hardware key is also the interface it becomes almost impossible to use the program. The only way around a hardware key/interface is to find a generic interface and modify the software to accept the the interface. Well I now of no generic usb to seadoo wiring interfaces. Now I have some generic usb to dmx boxes, so if anyone has a dmx to seadoo wiring adapter were in business.

This is an example of software that uses a hardware key/interface that I sold on Ebay for $730 (retail $999) because I can get the generic devices for $100 and make them work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	2309 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	7496  

David
    The software does not hold the encryption key the hardware does.
    When I say that it can not be hacked "trust me".

If you do get a BUDS system from someone make sure they turn it on and you get the actavation code that they used or you just wated your $$$$.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Anything can be "hacked". I or certain people I know (or know of) would need access to a legitimate BUDS system to figure a work around. I really don't think it would be worth the time or money to do it though. If any software was ever going to be "hacker" proof it would be microsoft products. I have Winxp, MSoffice, adobe photoshop, and any other program I need for free. I also have directv and dish (all channels) for free. BUDS is such a niche product that there is no reason to hack it or no real profit to be made from it. It would be cool if BRP was to offer a consumer version of the BUDS to allow us to have access to the info but not allow us to change settings.

+1
    so your saying you can hack a dongle key? not trying to be smart ass

later cd

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I use a music program at work (BPM Studio Pro ver.4.XX). Its an expensive German software program that requires an usb dongle to operate. I don't have a dongle for it.

I thought that I read that the dongle also needed to linked to the serial number (manufactures number + logical serial number) of the hard drive... Ron

Turbo Doo's from Down Under
    Either a serial MPI or USB MPI2 require the software to be "activated" to communicate with an ECU.

This activation uses the serial number of the MPI along with the serial number of the PC (yup) then generates an algorithmic code by BRP to allow access to certain product lines (ie PWC, ATV, Spyder, Sport Boats, Ski-DOO, etc) for a time period of up to 12 months.

The dealer needs to physicly contact BRP to get them to generate this code.

An MPI only works on the PC that the code was generated for, so even if you have a version of the BUDS software installed and you plug in a know working VCK it will not communicate until activated on that PC.

As for the "anti-trust" it is a security tool for programing dess keys so they are not obligated to make it publicly available.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    From what I understand you need the special little box that plugs into the computer and the doo. Basically it translates. From what I have been told that box and the software have a serial number and the dealer has to call BRP to activate everything
    And a software password is required every 30 day's

Do Work Son
    Buy this, BUDS setup on Ebay, let me know how it works out
    --EBAY LINKY--

Jay

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information