+1

Bolted aluminum trailers vs welded trailers

Does anyone have any input on both? I have had several galvanized welded trailers and 1 bolted trailer. The bolted trailer seemed to flex more but i never had problems. I have had a welded trailer come apart at the welds and even have stress cracks on the frame.
    I am now looking at Aluminum trailers and have found a couple that are bolted design and a Triton that is of couse bolted.
    What do you think.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    ...a Triton that is of course bolted...
    I thought all Triton aluminum trailers were welded frames. I know my Elite WC2 is

Triton did have a problem a few years back with frame cracking, but as far as I can tell they got over that problem when they redesigned their PWC trailers around or just after 2000.

The newer Triton models are longer, and have higher weight ratings that the earlier models (even though some of the model codes did NOT change).

My two 3 seater PWC are under 1,000lbs each. I have put a few thousand miles on the trailer, with no problems. Tows nicely, and I would strongly recommend the torsion axle suspension over leaf springs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I thought all Triton aluminum trailers were welded frames. I know my Elite WC2 is

Triton did have a problem a few years back with frame cracking, but as far as I can tell they got over that problem when they redesigned their PWC trailers around or just after 2000.

The newer Triton models are longer, and have higher weight ratings that the earlier models (even though some of the model codes did NOT change).

My two 3 seater PWC are under 1,000lbs each. I have put a few thousand miles on the trailer, with no problems. Tows nicely, and I would strongly recommend the torsion axle suspension over leaf springs.
    Sorry, meant to type Welded on the Triton's.

+1
    Tows nicely, and I would strongly recommend the torsion axle suspension over leaf springs.
    yep, I agree. Torsion axles for sure.

I would strongly recommend the torsion axle suspension over leaf springs.

Why are the torsion suspension better than the leafs???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 Pro Mick View Post
    Why are the torsion suspension better than the leafs???
    There are no separate parts to rattle or get loose over time. The torsion axle is effectively a one piece unit that gets bolted directly to the trailer frame.

Once installed, the only maintenance is greasing the bearings, with or without a bearing buddy type grease cap.

The torsion axle design encloses the square torsion rod rotated 45 degrees inside the square outer axle tube. The inner rod is inserted with four solid rubber cords filling the space between the two.

When there is load on the axle, the inner rod rotates against the rubber inserts, thereby providing the 'spring action'.

An added bonus is that the rubber also provides a damping function, like built in shock absorbers.

The net result is an axle that rides smoothly, doesn't bounce the trailer over bumps, is quiet, and lasts a long time.

Dexter Torflex axles

Torflex Information PDF

'...This torsion axle system is complete with a torsion arm type suspension system, which is self-contained within the trailer axle. It attaches directly to the trailer frame through brackets and makes it easy because you don’t have to attach the suspension system separately.

These Torsion trailer axles offer better suspension than the traditional leaf spring axles. They are an arrangement of a steel torsion bar that is surrounded by four natural rubber cords. These cords are encased in the main structure of the axle beam itself.

These systems are also virtually maintenance free. No additional maintenance is required for the suspension, although you will want to give regular maintenance attention to your bearings, seals, wheels, tires and brakes.

These trailer axles are also available with bearing lubrication options in the hub including the E-Z Bearing Lubrication System and the Nev-R-Lube Bearing Lubrication System..."

I guess that sums it up for me. Thanks, I originally had a Shorelander with the torsion suspension. When I purchased it, the bracket was bent thorwing off the wheel alignment. I cut and re-welded to straigten thing out, but then bought a Karavan with leafs. The torsion trailer did bounce alot more when towing, but I did not feel it in the truck. I do notice the Karavan on the back alot more than the Shorelander.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 Pro Mick View Post
    ...I originally had a Shorelander with the torsion suspension. ...bracket was bent throwing off the wheel alignment. I cut and re-welded ...torsion trailer did bounce a lot more when towing...
    Sounds like your torsion trailer wasn't good from the start

If it was bouncing more than a leaf spring trailer, it sounds like the torsion axle load rating was too stiff for the actual trailer load. Torsion axles come in different weight ratings.

For a smooth ride, the actual loaded trailer weight should be reasonably matched to the axle's load rating.

A torsion axle should have an upward bend ^ in the middle of the axle, on purpose. The bend compensates for the flexing of the suspension arms and wheel spindles when under load. When loaded, the result is the tires track correctly, at right angles to the road surface.

[QUOTE=K447;1304836]Sounds like your torsion trailer wasn't good from the start
    QUOTE]

There was definately something wrong. Like I said, the spindle mount was bent. They must of hit something REALLY big to bend that. It did tow smoother than the one with the leafs. It just seemed to bounce down the road. I think the next time I'm looking, I will go back to the torsion axle though. Especially with the reccomendations here. Thanks

Thread Information