Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 Starter problems

I am sure this has been discussed before in here. I searched first but did not find my problem. I might not be using the correct search words.

My 96 1100 waveraider has left me stranded a few times in the middle of nowhere. I don't know what the problem is to fix it.

It will fire up first time for the day, then run great (65 mph) until I shut it off.
    Then it wont start. I mean it wont do anything. Nadda, zilch, dead!

I have no dash, no relay clicks, nothing. It is as if the battery has been disconnected. After some time passes it will work again. So to me it seems something is getting hot and shuts down, but what?

I brought it in to the local marina shop, they replaced the starter switch and said it was fine. So off I go riding and the same thing happens again.
    I brought it back, and they said they replaced a ignition wire and inline fuse. OK, fires up, and off I go again, guess what? Yup, same thing.

So after having it towed back a few times, I decided to store it. I sure as heck wasn't going to take it back to the same place again. My frustrations were high enough to dock it for the year.

When this thing runs, it screams! I can take on the 1200gp and walk away from them. It is a crazy fast ride to me, but beats the tar out of me at the same time..lol Not the most stable of skis out there..lol

Any thoughts? Ideas?
    Thanks!

+1
    I think they have done a fair job in acessing the situation and sometimes you replace lots of parts to find the problem. I would have done the same thing with the start/stop although you can easy just test this by jumping the wires "red/brown" that run on the inside of the hull to the switch. If you short these out...it will turn the engine over and bypass the start/stop. If that was not the issue...the inline fuse is the 2nd choice because it's a poor design as it supplies all power to the CDI, Dash etc. This is often bad on old school raiders and results in just as you said...NADA. So....what's left.....CDI could be bad..."getting hot" although this typically leads to no spark more then anything. The stator provides power to everything while the battery is only for the starter... All of these items can be tested but, if it were mine, I would ride it and carry a 6-8 guage wire and jump the wires "brown/red" and see if it turns over when it stops.

M

Well I thought about the CDI going bad, but when it is running, it runs. No lack of power in mid to high rpm range, but has a slight hesitation out of the hole, I just figured that to be the carbs needing to be tweaked. I can throttle all I want with no ill effects for hours on end and it runs good. It is just after riding for awhile and shutting it off, it wont have power for anything.

Should I replace the entire wire harness from the On/Off switch to the starter and to the battery?

I really don't want to be in the middle of the lake and have to try to jump the starter to get going again if I can help it.

Thanks for the help!

sounds like a stator. It gives out when hot but it shouldnt shut down the whole power, just wont spark. Hmmmm...

I would check the the start/Stop/kill switch. Take it apart and make sure nothing is rusty. The CDi will either give out and not work at all or work 100%. There are some that swear up and down that you can feel a loss of power when a cdi goes bad like missing rpm but I dont believe it because it hasnt ever happened to me. When it does I will believe it. I would start with the kill switch then move to see if you are getting water in the electrical box or bad gorund in there. I found sometimes a loose bolt holding all my grounds. In the box I like to take all the grounds and put them on one post ensuring good ground.

Thanks Kris.

I will remove the start/stop switch and check the wiring. A bad ground makes sense to me. It would cause a wire to heat up and could also be a fire hazard maybe. I really hope it is something as simple as this. Never seems to be that way for me though..lol

+1
    I think it's a loose connection or a bad relay.
    Most likely a bad starter relay.
    Bad connection could be at the relay a ground or at the starter.

Thanks for that! It is so dang cold right now, I am going to have to wait a bit to work on it

Just got spammed through this site from this thread. I got an email notification that I had a post on here, it was a bunch of weird advertisement for Polo shirts.

When I clicked the thread link, it took me here as normal, but there was nothing added to this thread.

Anyone else get this?

+1
    You know you dont have to take it out on the water to test it. Just hook up the hose and warm it up on the trailer. Lot simpler then getting towed in every time.

Quote Originally Posted by IEGPR View Post
    You know you dont have to take it out on the water to test it. Just hook up the hose and warm it up on the trailer. Lot simpler then getting towed in every time.
    That sounds great & all, but I have already tried this. It seems to only happen after it has been rode at high rpms for a lot longer than I care to hold the engine at WOT on the trailer. I'm talking 30 mins or longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information