Thread: Pump problem

Pump problem

Hello, curious if others experienced the same. The impeller on my '04 R-12 non turbo is hitting the stainless liner on two spots to the fact that you can't turn it anymore. I noticed it while starting it up out of the water and it got worst just sitting. I assume it is corrosion between the ss-liner and the stator housing. First I thought it's a bend impeller but why would it get worst with time. The bearings and grease all looks fine, it is not caused by that. I noticed a part# change for the pump housing and think it was a known problem but never read anything on the boards. If it is corrosion, how would you clean/flush that area in between which should be sealed to begin with.
    Thanks!

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    I remember some one saying something about corrosion occuring between the s/s wear ring and the aluminum housing. I don't know enough about them to help you much though. If nobody helps in a day or 2, let me know and I can give you an e-mail to a guy that may know. Good luck. Rod.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    The newer R-non Turbos are a deferent size and hence the new model number.

If your impeller is contacting the housing your bearings or other parts need to be replaced.

Shawn

Thanks "Nitro" I will check on this. Still waiting for the tool to come in to take the impeller off. Could somebody tell me in what order the inside comes apart after taken the impeller off?
    Some suggest it is a common problem when riding in salt and corrosion is lifting the ss-liner up, but I can't find anyone commenting who had this problem too.
    Thanks for helping.
    Reiner

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Reiner, Talk to Russel or Dan from the club. They should be able to help you. My Honda is an 06 but I bought it brand new last summer and I haven't had the pump apart yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rbi View Post
    Thanks "Nitro" I will check on this. Still waiting for the tool to come in to take the impeller off. Could somebody tell me in what order the inside comes apart after taken the impeller off?
    Some suggest it is a common problem when riding in salt and corrosion is lifting the ss-liner up, but I can't find anyone commenting who had this problem too.
    Thanks for helping.
    Reiner

I had this exact problem, but on a Polaris ski. Yes, corrosion would cause the inner stainless "wear ring" to lift away from the housing thereby causing the impeller-to-wear ring contact. On my ski, you could easily see the imperfection in the wear ring once you got a good view...ie removed the pump assembly. Mine was so bad that the original owner thought the engine was locked up. The ski was basically a freebie with the trailer I purchased from him. I put the shade tree mek-nek skillz to work and grinded down the the highspots...and whaddya know...it ran. (for two seasons until the PTO wrist pin broke loose). OH, and I had to grind the wear ring down before the second season as well.

I am by no means recommending the grind down method as a fix. My ski was 12 years old and purchasing a new wear ring would have doubled the ski's value if you know what I mean.

Nitro is the man and it could very well be the bearings, but don't excuse the wear ring corrosion possibility until you verify it.

Randy

I took the impeller off today and it is the ss-liner. You can feel the bumps with your fingers, it was hitting on two spots. One minor and the other pretty good. Right there where the cooling water jacket is, maybe it is coming from there. I did a temporary fix by grinding those spots down and will see how long it will last. The bearings and grease are looking like new and spin smooth. Will order a new stator and bearing set and should be good again.
    Thanks for help.

Thread Information