Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Water in Prop Cone

Last night after I finally got the prop cone (not the rubber nose cone), free from my pump assembly, I found a little bit of water inside it. I'm wondering what I should do now. I've searched and found a few other threads regarding water in the cone, but there seems to be a bit of debate on the proper course of action. Some have recommended just replacing the cone grease and letting it be. I'd like to get a bit more input on this. I do ride in salt water 100% of the time, so it's a concern.

Also, assuming my bearings were fine, how easily should the prop spin? I can spin it smoothly by hand, but only when I'm giving it pressure (It does not continue to spin if I take my hand away).

Thanks for any help.

+1
    I should probably add that I did not see any corrosion inside the pump cone or around the bearings, despite the presence of water....

+1
    happened to me then i realized that i installed the front outer seal backwards fixed that new grease and i was good to go, u just might need a couple new seals and o-rings in the pump

+1
    It all depends on how much water you have. My SeaDoo grease looked like it has a little water in it. I switched to Amsoil 75-140 oil and it has been ok for about 40 hours. Its messy though, especially when trying to dial your prop in.

How many hours are on your pump? You can flush all the old grease out and use something like Bel-Ray waterproof grease and you will be good to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    It all depends on how much water you have. My SeaDoo grease looked like it has a little water in it. I switched to Amsoil 75-140 oil and it has been ok for about 40 hours. Its messy though, especially when trying to dial your prop in.

How many hours are on your pump? You can flush all the old grease out and use something like Bel-Ray waterproof grease and you will be good to go.
    I've got 75 hrs on it. I'm thinking I should probably disassemble the pump and clean it out, but it looks like there are several additional tools needed to accomplish this (seal/bearing pusher, impellar shaft pusher, etc).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    I've got 75 hrs on it. I'm thinking I should probably disassemble the pump and clean it out, but it looks like there are several additional tools needed to accomplish this (seal/bearing pusher, impellar shaft pusher, etc).

You should be able to get way more than that out of it. I have about 230+ hours on mine and know others with 300+ hours on them. Any pics of what it looks like?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    You should be able to get way more than that out of it. I have about 230+ hours on mine and know others with 300+ hours on them. Any pics of what it looks like?
    No pics with me right now, I'll post some when I get home from work. But like I said, I didn't really notice any corrosion when I removed the pump cone, just a bit of water. I haven't been able to remove the prop from the pump assembly (that thing is on there ridiculously tight), so it's tough to say what it might look like without the prop on.

+1
    Do any of you guys have any input on how smooth the prop should spin? I mean, if I turn it with my hand, should it stay spinning like a bike tire? Mine requires just a touch of force to spin, and will stop immediately after I take my hand off of it.

This might help me gauge how bad/good my bearings are.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Do any of you guys have any input on how smooth the prop should spin? I mean, if I turn it with my hand, should it stay spinning like a bike tire? Mine requires just a touch of force to spin, and will stop immediately after I take my hand off of it.

This might help me gauge how bad/good my bearings are.
    That's is normal. Even with the oil in mine which is less resistant it spins line you said. It will stop shortly after you spin it by hand. It may make one - two full rotations but that's it.

200+ plus hours on the pump?? is this a stock pump we are talking about?? Im up to 93hrs on a stock pump, with a b kit and riva ecu on a 07 rxp.. Just wondering when i would need a rebuild..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information