Prohibido usuario
    +1

Ripping CD to ISO, Need help

I meant ripping DVD to ISO for the title. Can a mod fix that for me?

Don't want to get anyone's panties in a bunch so I will be very general and beat around the bush.

I am digitizing all of my personal movie collection and am having trouble with a couple of newer titles. I want them to be .iso so that when I play them I have the dvd menu and everything. I am using dvd shrink but sometimes it has trouble if there are bad sectors. Is there a program that is more up to date? What are you using? I did a web search and came up with a bunch but some scared me to try and the ones I did were ok but didn't do everything I want. A program like dvd shrink without the decryption software would be great.

I would like something free. If I have to pay for something it better be good.

Moderated
    bad sectors are damage to the dvd surface....no app can fix surface damage...

the only thing i can think of to get around that sort of issue is try reading it with another dvd reader because some readers handle bad sectors better then others....

I use dvd fab platinum. It does everything I need. Also afterdawn . com is a very helpful site for these type of problems.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    ...DVD shrink but sometimes it has trouble if there are bad sectors...
    First step is to look carefully at the DVD surface.

If it has fingerprints, dirt or smudges, clean the DVD. Do this carefully, using an appropriate cleaner (not ammonia based Windex).

Also do not wipe in a circular pattern. Wipe from center to edge, using a non-abrasive cloth. Do not use paper towels. Microfibre cloth works well, but it must not have any fabric softener in it from laundering.

If the disc has scratches, you can try to buff them out (not easy to do without over doing it). You would need to use a very fine polishing type compound, and low speed buffing wheel. Too much friction heat will melt and haze the disc surface, which is not good.

Another approach for scratches is to use a disc restoration product. The chemical fills in the scratches, so the laser can more clearly penetrate the disc surface and read the data pattern inside. Look for CD/DVD cleaning+repair kits, sold in many electronics and music stores, and online.

Roundup: CD and DVD scratch repair devices

I also came across these tips, which I have not tried myself;

1) Use a yellow highlight marker and draw it over the scratched area. Careful, dry tips can scratch the disc.

2) Sprayable "silicone oil" - sold in Europe as "cockpit spray". I read it has a good affinity to the hydrophobic plastic material and a similar refractional index, which is the point!
    Similarly, silicon spray will work. It should look like a mirror finish, but if you use too much the disc will be unreadable. Try spraying a tiny bit on and rubbing it over the surface with paper towel - you'll see it 'hide' the scratches as you rub. If you put too much on, it comes off pretty easily with eye glasses cleaner or other mild glass cleaning agent.

3) Toothpaste, with its abrasive particles can work their way into the scratches. Use a small pointer to rub it into the scratches to bring them closer to the surface and more even with the rest of the disc. Just make sure to clean off the disc when done. You don't want toothpaste flying around your DVD drive.

4) Try cooling the disc. If that doesn't work, try heating it. This trick will often help you get some more sectors read.

5) Some have had success with car wax or car polish. Worth a shot if all else fails.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Appreciate it mongo. I looked at DVD Fab. I have been using DVD43 for decryption.

The DVD's are not damaged guys. The bad sectors are placed there on purpose. Something about pirates and stuff.

Thread Information