XL 1200 Not starting

Have fully charged battery, juice to the relay, continuity thru the relay. Crossed terminals engine turned over. Starter button has continuity so does stop button. Connections up front look good. Push starter button... nothing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Mel

+1
    check the kill side of the start switch. it is very common for the "tether" kill switch to be corroded on the yamaha's, giving a "no start" condition.

zig

+1
    It takes three things to run, Spark, Fuel and Compression. First thing I would check is if you have spark at the plugs, this is simple and will let you know if you have an electrical issue or not. If this passes move on to the next two items.

XL 1200 Not Starting

Tried using another start switch (used) with no luck. Not sure it works tho'. I'll recheck the kill switch. Something is blocking the juice from the starter relay to the start button. Thanks

+1
    How about the main fuse? You probably need to go through the troubleshooting guide in the shop manual.

XL 1200 Not Starting

Thanks you guys. Since the last post I have checked the Start/Stop switch for continuity, starter relay & battery. Everything checks out fine. Someone suggested the thermo sensor. Said it could cause a no start condition if it's bad. Anyone had that problem before? Checking the CDI as well. Getting a better multimeter to check it. Any suggestions on a good one that will work for jet ski needs?

try this,unplug the start stop switch(the red:brown and the white:black)then bypass and just touch the red and brown wires coming from the box see what happens ,does the engine turn over with the start stop switch?

XL 1200 Not Starting

Quote Originally Posted by maddogSXM View Post
    try this,unplug the start stop switch(the red:brown and the white:black)then bypass and just touch the red and brown wires coming from the box see what happens ,does the engine turn over with the start stop switch?
    Will try tomorrow. CDI is out so I will put it back in. Thanks

+1
    what year is the boat? the early xls had a code to enter on the dash before the starter will work

XL 1200 Not Starting

It's a '98 XL. The dash meter has been bypassed so entry code is'nt necessary. I tried it tho' & it still did'nt work. After I put the CDI back in I'll re-post. Thanks

Thread Information