Thread: Fuel stabilizer

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Fuel stabilizer

USE IT!!! I have decided after today that the smell that I hate the most is old stale gas! I spent a few hours trying to get my custom dune buggy running so that I can sell it. It has a 1970's Honda 360 twin streetbike engine in it with dual carbs. Of course after sitting for the last 2.5 years in the back yard without running, the carbs needed the old stale gas cleaned out of them. Finally got it running, but that smell is still with me. Can't seem to get rid of that stale gas smell. I sure hope that the carbs on my Sleeper project are not plugged up with old stale gas. I would be tempted to buy a set of 44s off someone rather than deal with that smell again! I wish that I had used some FUEL STABILIZER so that I could have avoided the situation. Of course actually using it each summer would have helped a bit too!

I got given a bottle of Polaris stabilizer, thanks for reminding me ill go bung some in now

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    have used red stabil for years, never a problem starting skis/outboards in the spring.
    have recently switched to ethanol fuel version as a lot of gas in michigan contains ethanol witch can cause big fuel system problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy in mich View Post
    have used red stabil for years, never a problem starting skis/outboards in the spring.
    have recently switched to ethanol fuel version as a lot of gas in michigan contains ethanol witch can cause big fuel system problems.
    x2. works great. NEVER any issues.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Plrs X45 View Post
    x2. works great. NEVER any issues.
    +1=3. Stabil works good for me.

Appologizes for the last user title katz1002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    USE IT!!! I have decided after today that the smell that I hate the most is old stale gas! I spent a few hours trying to get my custom dune buggy running so that I can sell it. It has a 1970's Honda 360 twin streetbike engine in it with dual carbs. Of course after sitting for the last 2.5 years in the back yard without running, the carbs needed the old stale gas cleaned out of them. Finally got it running, but that smell is still with me. Can't seem to get rid of that stale gas smell. I sure hope that the carbs on my Sleeper project are not plugged up with old stale gas. I would be tempted to buy a set of 44s off someone rather than deal with that smell again! I wish that I had used some FUEL STABILIZER so that I could have avoided the situation. Of course actually using it each summer would have helped a bit too!
    amen on the stale gas smell i finally became immune to it but you dont even have to be near it and it lingers with you i have a 1969 honda p-50 moped and had ehh 1 year old gas in it and we tried to fire it up but the smell was just so bad i wasnt able to even work o n it another day i suppose

it will take about a year of old gas to give you problems , as long as the temp didnt go up or down and its properly sealed off , that gas should be good and should just need a splash of new gas to get it right

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone1050 View Post
    it will take about a year of old gas to give you problems , as long as the temp didnt go up or down and its properly sealed off , that gas should be good and should just need a splash of new gas to get it right
    goes from below zero to 70 the entire time they are stored.

Thread Information