What Head gasket ?
    What Cams ?
    What Valves ?
    What Valves springs ?
    What Valve Retainers ?

What crankcase breathing mod ?
    What head porting ?
    What inlet manifold porting?

Anyone been down this road can message the thread or PM me.

Thanks

you do the mods your money, time, and skill level allows. If you can afford it upgrade it. If you feel like it is not required then dont do it. In the end you do what you can live with or what is required for the goals you have set for the engine.

You are going to get a lot of opinions from many people who probably have very little high performance engine building experience or custom tuning on performance engines where drivability is a concern.

Many people are good at repeating what they have been told, read, or the wisdom that their keyboard warrior experience has given them. Turbo ultras are far and few so many people with real world experience are not around and most do not post on a forum. Ask specific questions of the people you go to get answers from.

My opinion is if your putting a turbo on then you overbuild for the power expected. Everything you asked does have an option to change. Like i said you just have to decide what the value is doing any of it for your specific goals.

I have Corrillo Rods and forged pistons so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Racer View Post
    What is the comparisum between the Ultra and the 15 F
    What Crank mods ? Send it to Falicon here in the USA. Other wise get a reputable crank shop to lighten it and knife edge it. Or better just leave it alone. Lightening it will help get past lag much quicker but run the risk of weakening it..
    What Rods ? If possible use the Carrillo's if not then shot peen the stock ones. Falicon also provides this service and so do many others. Or leave them stock, Ive yet to see one snap do to stress. Ive seen rods fail do to bearing spinning but never one snap from stress. Better to think of aftermarket rods as a reserve parachute.
    What pistons ? 9.5 work well in the Turbo boats so far. 10.5 are good but will limit your boost level a bit. From my experience, boost is faster then compression.
    What Head gasket ? Stock works fine up to 18lbs of boost but Id think you would want the Riva Head Gasket considering the cost of that gasket along side your other parts.
    What Cams ? Save your $1600 or get the ZX12 cams and press on Falicon gears, Ive found out thats basically what my cams ended up being.
    What Valves ? Save your money, stock are really good and both weigh the same. I am running the Ferrea ones but cant tell you what the benefit is.
    What Valves springs ? Save your money unless your switching cams to the ZX12, then its a toss up remember your not going to be operating past the 8600 rpm limit.
    What Valve Retainers ? Not needed. Stock ones are rated way over the RPM range you'll be operating in but if you do do the entire valve train then why not add them too. They are said to avoid valve float but I never had a floating valve in the past with the 250 motor. 15F guys use them but remember the 15F was never built to take boost, the 250 is.
    What crankcase breathing mod ? Drill the cases out like my site shows you, old trick been done back when Bruce Skelton from New Zealand was building motors for 15F, give him a call he'll tell ya how many motors he had to bury to figure it out. Even still you will run the risk of blowing oil out. Your going to have to watch it closely these motor are picky with big boost numbers and thats fact.
    What head porting ? Tricky as every one Ive talked to seems to have a different opinion, thats one I would not care to go into.
    What inlet manifold porting? Same as head but if you port the head then of coarse you want to match them together.

**Stock ECU will work but with a piggish bottom end. Motec would be the way to go but not cheap, then there is the Axis one with working map out. Point is to consider ECU in this biuld and make life easier on yourself.
    **Most important is to remember that Boost is Boost. The motor doesn't know how its getting pressure. Differance being Turbo is exhuast driven and Charger being pulley driven. Different loads but managable with ECU. With proper mapping you can make a really nice Turbo kit. Several around the world have done it and have lived the dramas first hand. Just pool your resources and you'll be fine, the ace is in your pocket, use it.
    ** Real world info>>Stock Ultra takes 11lbs of boost to get to 7600-7800 rpm average. Turbo Ultra running 11lbs will easily run 8250-8400 rpm. So you see the amount of load a roots blower is adding.
    ***Drivability? Cost verses performance? Keep the boost at or below stock and youll have a long lasting motor but why spend the money if your not going to push it..

Thanks
    The above is my worthless opinion, but I'm sure some one will pick it to death. Especially you Ozzy's...
    Last edited by Skips313; 01-04-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Poor ass spelling....

What Crank mods ? STOCK
    What Rods ? Carillos are a must.
    What pistons ? Forged , stock 260 compression will keep you on the safe side
    What Head gasket ? Stock is really bulletproof but with the Riva one at almost same price i would go for the Riva.
    What Cams ? Stock, i agree with Skip, DONT WASTE MONEY.
    What Valves ? Stock, i agree with Skip, DONT WASTE MONEY.
    What Valves springs ? Stock, i agree with Skip, DONT WASTE MONEY.
    What Valve Retainers ? Stock, i agree with Skip, DONT WASTE MONEY.

What crankcase breathing mod ? There has been a picture posted here.
    What head porting ? As Skip said.
    What inlet manifold porting? As Skip said.

Consider the ECU a must.Motec is by far the best option but comes with a price.Axis works really good and i allready have a killer map.

PMing you my msn.

Thanks
    Turbo is a great winter project, make sure u r not on a tight budget
    My post is for 250/260.

What Crank mods ?
    What Rods ?
    What pistons ?
    What Head gasket ?
    What Cams ?
    What Valves ?
    What Valves springs ?
    What Valve Retainers ?

What crankcase breathing mod ?
    What head porting ?
    What inlet manifold porting?

Thanks
    Al, Santa could have dropped all this stuff off to you 10 days ago You would have had it half way built by now

Let me tell you one thing... it gets REAL REAL expensive..I'm sure there are a bunch of people that will agree with me. Once you get the motor stuff taken care of you still have to get into pump, prop/nozzle combos, etc. Not to mention all the other little accessories that add up real fast. Wire harness connectors, fittings, hose, Wide band, etc. I've been working on my turbo on/off for 2 years now...

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    The above is my worthless opinion, but I'm sure some one will pick it to death. Especially you Ozzy's...

mate that is why i am not saying any thing
    way too many experts out there with zero experience and about the same knowledge

the subltlesoldier guy sumed it up

Come on Brad! You can do it, dont be scared. We need your input around here.

I kinda found it odd the person asking is friends with one of the better Turbo guys just next door but I roled with it any way.

Could be a pot stir trap but as I see it the info is up now and its either going to constructivly get better and more detailed or just die.

Thanks for that input.
    Yes i have seen Skeltons Turbo 15f ,, a very quck machine.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information