Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

+1

Unhappy Frost buildup on the INSIDE of the vehicle

So it's winter. Everyone will get ice buildup on their vehicle. However, since I've moved to Ottawa, I've been noticing quite often that frost buildsup inside my car on the window. It annoys the hell out of me! When it's 6AM and I need to use my vehicle, there is not sun to thaw it out, the defroster doesn't work because the car is too cold and you can't scrape it because of the contours of the windshield and scrapers. I've also tried running the A/C for a couple of mins before leaving the car, but that doesn't seem to help much. I figured running the AC would remove the moisture in the car.

What are the rest of you guys doing to if you experience this problem? Tonight I'm trying something new... I have a product from rain-x that supposedly prevents the windshield from fogging up.... and since the frost is moisture, I figure why not?

Any thoughts on this?

Move south I have used that rain x seems to work well Down this way when its cold! We will see what Happens to my window in the am it will be in the low 30's

+1
    Remote car starter. Start the coffee start the car.. Shower go to work.

Buy a remote car starter. Problem solved.

+1
    If you have frost on your window, chances are you either have a window that isn't completely closed or there is a seal problem.

Remote car starter would be a good investment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    If you have frost on your window, chances are you either have a window that isn't completely closed or there is a seal problem.

Remote car starter would be a good investment.

I don't like to have the car idle. I'd like to think I'm doing my small part for the environment by avoiding that! As for the seal... I'm not sure that would be the case... it's a 2010, picked it up a week ago.

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    ...since I've moved to Ottawa, I've been noticing quite often that frost builds up inside my car on the window.

...I've also tried running the A/C for a couple of mins before leaving the car, but that doesn't seem to help much...
    The frost is from moisture that is present inside the car when it was shut down.

You didn't mention whether the other windows get fogged or frosted, either when you are driving, or after you have parked.

Possible moisture sources;
    water trapped in the floormats
    water in the ventilation system
    water in the inside air (from your breathing)

The AC system simply creates a cold surface for the warm air to flow over on its way into the car interior. When you shut the engine off, the moisture is still present in the AC section. If the drain for the AC is frozen or clogged, the water never drains out, and evaporates back into the car.

In some cars, the AC doesn't actually turn on if the outside air temp is too cold (there is a sensor for the outside temperature).

If the floormats are soggy, and you have the heat blasting down there while you drive, the water can evaporate and fog up the windows later.

Is there any sign of the water running down the windshield in liquid form before it freezes?
    Or is the frost a very smooth and even coating, indicating that the glass was cold when the moisture got on it?

Since it is a new vehicle, I would document the problem, then let the dealer sort it out. It might be a drainage problem in the ventilation system.
    What did you purchase?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The frost is from moisture that is present inside the car when it was shut down.

You didn't mention whether the other windows get fogged or frosted, either when you are driving, or after you have parked.

Possible moisture sources;
    water trapped in the floormats
    water in the ventilation system
    water in the inside air (from your breathing)

The AC system simply creates a cold surface for the warm air to flow over on its way into the car interior. When you shut the engine off, the moisture is still present in the AC section. If the drain for the AC is frozen or clogged, the water never drains out, and evaporates back into the car.

In some cars, the AC doesn't actually turn on if the outside air temp is too cold (there is a sensor for the outside temperature).

-Really... I didn't know that... I'll have to see how my vehicle is setup then.

If the floormats are soggy, and you have the heat blasting down there while you drive, the water can evaporate and fog up the windows later.

-Very good idea! I never even thought about that... with all that snow, I probably does evaporate from the floor heaters blowing on it.... Which reminds me, I do need to get some better floormats. Currently I just have the factory carpet mats and they abosorb water.... which is not really cool... I need something better, but I'm still looking for a good pair that will collect the water and allow me to dump it... I'll especially need this in the summer... I wear my sneakers in the water... :P

Is there any sign of the water running down the windshield in liquid form before it freezes?
    Or is the frost a very smooth and even coating, indicating that the glass was cold when the moisture got on it?

-Very smooth even coating, no indication of water beading down the sides.

Since it is a new vehicle, I would document the problem, then let the dealer sort it out. It might be a drainage problem in the ventilation system.
    What did you purchase?
    -Awesome insight! Thanks! 2010 Nissan Rogue. My Xterra's tranny was starting to go, so thought I'd trade it in and get the full value before something really bad happened... I miss the X, but I like the features and gas mileage of this new vehicle.

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    I do need to get some better floormats.

Currently I just have the factory carpet mats and they absorb water...
    Have a look at the WeatherTech products

I also like their Cargo Mats

Tip: If the carpeting under the floormats is wet, use a fan and/or low heat to dry it out, preferably with the car parked somewhere warm. Sometimes the carpeting can really hold the moisture, and it can take a long time to really get the whole area dry, all the way through the layers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Have a look at the WeatherTech products

I also like their Cargo Mats

Tip: If the carpeting under the floormats is wet, use a fan and/or low heat to dry it out, preferably with the car parked somewhere warm. Sometimes the carpeting can really hold the moisture, and it can take a long time to really get the whole area dry, all the way through the layers.
    Will check it out. Thanks for the insight buddy!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information