Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Crazy rub rail idea

Alright, I was thinking the other day about cheap, or cheaper ways to re do rub rails without having to buy brand new ones.

Not sure if anyone here has ever dabbled in radio controlled airplanes, but when you build one of those, you cover the wooden frame with stuff called monokote. Its a plastic film, basically in any color you want, that is applied with a small iron or heat gun.

Now, it doesn't get THAT hot, so I was thinking maybe the rub rails could handle it and you would have a fairly cheap and effective way to liven up your current rails (to any color you want) or restore old beat up rails.

Completely crazy? Tried it before?

Maybe I will try it....

+1
    Sounds like a great idea, I'll try it on my SLTX rails and see what happens.

post some pics when you're finished, I'd like to see how it came out.

Well fellas I just got my rub rails back from my buddies Rhino Liner shop (sprayed on bed liner) they look awsome he also can do many diff colors. I will post pics soon. The stuff has awsome durability also

I'd be interested in a cheap way to change the color of my rub rails. I'm not diggin' the faded red/pink ones anymore.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I think the mono kote would look good and hold up well as long as it does not touch anything. As soon as you bump it with something it will tear ans split because it is stretched tight. Basically saran wrap.

I have heard good things about the krylon fusion paint, and the old wave the torch over the faded plastic trick took years off of my raider's appearance.

Duplicolor makes plastic bumper paint...I think I'm going to try that unless someone has tried it already.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bumper.html

anybody have any slick ideas on how to re-attach the rub rail on a Pro 785.... mine ripped off so the holes are now to big for the rivets to grab the rail... plus I'm having a hard time getting the old rivets out as they just spin in the hull. looks like i will have to grin the heads off but theres not enough room to push them through once the head is off???

I have had good luck using the 'mono cote style heat blower' on the yami colored plastic and rails... it remelts the top surface and redistributes the 'oils' in the plastic .. you will see the 'white ' haze dissappear and fresh color come out . experiment on an old piece...carefull... to hot will melt the stuff and burn you if touched ..wear gloves.mask off the painted surfaces or protect with clean thin cardboard,to protect em from heat damage.

gsx go to your frendly ford dealer ... we use oversize rivet heads on bumpers and window regulaters... steel and aluminum ...tell em what your looking for, they will have em at a big dealership...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information