Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

best gps for ocean navigation??

I have been hitting my head on the wall for about two weeks now going through diffrent websites to a find a gps i am satisfied with.

I am looking for a gps that will navigate in the water.

is there anything other than a huge chartplotter??

any suggestions??

For example, Lets say i am in miami and i want to go to the bahamas, lets say bimini, what gps can i use that will show me how to get there??

Keeping speed and all that does not matter to me.

Basically I just dont want to get lost in the ocean.

sorry for sounding so vauge but this has been a very ennoying search

THanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How large a screen size are you willing to mount?

The bigger the screen, the more detail you can see without zooming in and out frequently.

If you just need a pointer to your destination, then even a small 2.5 inch screen like the Garmin GPSmap76CSX will do the job.

If you want to actually see where you are going, and navigation details, then a larger 5 inch screen like the Garmin GPSMAP 640 might be helpful.

Always have an alternate to your main navigation electronics. If the main GPS fails or is damaged or lost for any reason, you should have an alternate method of getting to your destination.

Perhaps a spare handheld GPS unit in the storage bucket, or a compass and laminated marine chart(s).

The first GPS is what many of us Offshore racers use to navigate, and stay alive while. It has a large display. Good price to. Best advice is whatever you purchase, learn how to use it. If your riding a lot offshore, buy a VHF radio as well. You can also learn a lot from
    www.pwcoffshore.com lots of offshore info on that website.

+1
    Garrett, I have the unit shown above (GPSmap76CSx) and love it. FYI, earlier this summer I went by boat from west of New Orleans, LA to Biloxi, MS. Most of the route was in the GOM. My friend, of course, had his totally awesome Loran something or other GPS, deck mounted that we navigated by. But, I brought my hand held Garmin to compare with. I had the NA Inland Lakes downloaded and we could have navigated on my unit w/no sweat. I highly recommend the Garmin 76 CSx.

+1
    I also use the 76CSX...great product. I do like the newer Colorado & Oregon models because they can use the G2 Bluechart maps & have a slightly larger screen, but they don't float like the 76. The 76 does not come preloaded with maps though.

The only gripe I have about Garmin is that you pay & arm & a leg for maps & then they charge you nearly as much as the original price when you want to buy an update.

+1
    I have the garmin colorado great GPS has sooooo many options you can even hook it up to a heart monitor lol

[/URL]

+1
    I have the Garmin E Trex HCX. Nice color screen, I also have the blue chart of S.E. florida in it specifically to go to Bimini. The blue chart gives a whole lot of detailed info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    I have the garmin colorado great GPS has sooooo many options you can even hook it up to a heart monitor lol
    [/URL]
    How do you like the weelie thing? That vid has me close to ordering one. It's great that they give you coastal maps for the whole country. With my 76 I think I was paying $140 for each region.

Here's the deals I found on them:
    http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/...39.html/st=zip

I have the Garmin 76CSx and used it to get to Bimini. Great unit, pretty easy to read in the sun. I have had two problems however. I ride in pretty rough conditions sometimes, rough enough to where the unit gets totally slammed under a wave.
    Anyway first problem was I started to see tiny water droplets under the plastic above the screen. I was able to pry the plastic cover off and resealed it with silicone and haven't seen a drop of water in it since.
    Second problem I had was it lost satellite signals riding some really rough seas. Cycled power, took batteries out, etc.. still no signal. Ended up reflashing the firmware and it started working again. That fixed it for a few rides. Then it happened again, reflashed it still no signal. I was set to send it back to Garmin to have it fixed and looking in the manual I see there was an external antenna connection that I had hidden under the velcro I use to secure it to the ski. Low and behold it had water in it. Dried it out and got the satellites back. I did confirm that as the source of the problem by taking a wet sponge pushing that in to the connector. Lost the signals again. I think what happened the first time was just a coincidence between trying to get it working, flashing it and that connector drying out. I use a silicone grease on all the connector covers and battery cover since I'm always getting it super wet but didn't remember that one was there when I put the velcro over it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    How do you like the weelie thing? That vid has me close to ordering one. It's great that they give you coastal maps for the whole country. With my 76 I think I was paying $140 for each region.

Here's the deals I found on them:
    http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/...39.html/st=zip
    I dont mind it. wasnt sure how well the touch would work when wet.
    read the features on it theres lots and you can use the bluechart G2 maps on it. 400c comes with the G2 map.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6452

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=11024

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information