Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pump/gear oil?

Pump/gear oil?

My neighbor was telling me I need to replace the gear oil in the pump, but in reading this forum I don't really find any mention of it.

What's the deal?

FYI, my ski is an 05 RXP

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I think your talking about the grease located in the impeller tail cone. Some people replace the grease with oil because the oil is a better lube for the bearings.

I would check the pump grease every 10-20 hours or before the season and end of season. There is no oil in the pump only grease. The XPL's had oil in them.

Peter

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    excellent question....I'm a little confused then too...

There's no pump oil in the 4tecs?? It's just regular maintainance for my 2000 GTX, so I assumed I would change the oil in the RXP too at the end of the summer....hmmm. So just grease?

sean

edit: now that you mention that, I don't remember feeling a fill plug on the cone when I check the pump for debris......huh....

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Yeah the stock cone is plastic. A couple of people have used the aftermarket metal cone and drilled a hole in it. Then they tap and die the hole and add a drain/refill plug.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    yeah....the whole damn pump on the GTX is plastic, so I wouldn't even know the difference...haha

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel
    I think your talking about the grease located in the impeller tail cone. Some people replace the grease with oil because the oil is a better lube for the bearings.
    That sounds about right. He said you take the cone off and all the oil in it will leak out. Then you put the cone back on and there is a small fill hole in the top of the cone. He said to put a synthetic gear oil in.

Is the process for the grease in the impeller tail cone covered in the owners manual. If not, where can I go to get the details. I have about 40 hours on my skis and don't want to neglect any maintenance.

Thanks!

It is a simple process to take off the tail cone. You don't even need to pull the pump out. Just take off the steering nozzle and there are 3 allen heads. I believe they are 6mm. Take off the 3 allens and pop the cone off. As long as there is no water in there you are good. I usually put new grease in. I fill the cone completely so that when I put it back on it adds a little pressure to force towards the bearing. Use a good marine grease.

Peter

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    RXPNJ, I was told different. I thought the cone should be completely full of grease also but was told to remove all the old grease and use one tube of the seadoo grease that is made for the rxp/rxt pumps. Every time i have checked the bearing had plenty of that grease coated on it.

+1
    The SeaDoo shop manual says to replace the "O" rings and the bolts when you check this.

Do I need to replace these when I check it, or just put them back together?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information