tannum, Queensland Australia tannum's Avatar

faulty bearings in drive shaft

Hi all I have an issue with my f15x 09 ski with the drive sharft bearings failing causing a vibration, had the bearing looked at today and the machinic say that one bearing is stuffed and that it also appears that it had been slipping on the shaft, I had asked if the shaft diameter was out believing it to be 25mm? which he measured it was, my question is has anyone else had any problems like this with there skis? and also when I have the bearings replaced can they be loctited in to prevent slipping. Any help would be good. The bearing that failed appeared that it was not greased properly from factory it has only done 19hrs. Any help please

+1
    Most of the bearing failure of the past were due to the oring not being nested in the groove to the cone when it was assembled or reassembled. This lets the grease wash out and the bearing seizes and rotates on the shaft. If the shaft is not too undersized you can maybe use some Locktite green to remount the new bearing on the shaft. Be shure to monitor the NEW oring as the cone goes on and use some good waterproof marine grease that is rated for ball bearings. I use the Mercury 2-4-t? marine grease in mine that has over 500 hours.

tannum, Queensland Australia tannum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Most of the bearing failure of the past were due to the oring not being nested in the groove to the cone when it was assembled or reassembled. This lets the grease wash out and the bearing seizes and rotates on the shaft. If the shaft is not too undersized you can maybe use some Locktite green to remount the new bearing on the shaft. Be shure to monitor the NEW oring as the cone goes on and use some good waterproof marine grease that is rated for ball bearings. I use the Mercury 2-4-t? marine grease in mine that has over 500 hours.
    Thanks JRINJAX, I understand what you are saying but it was not the bearing in the jet pump that had failed which are behind the cone. The bearings that failed are in the bearing housing which hold the shaft that the pump slides onto the housing that has the grease line going to it inside the hull.

Thread Information