Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

speeding ticket by sound!

My line of work requires heavy support for law enforcement, and I usually can appreciate the views of law enforcement personnel, but this is crazy!

Do any of you believe that you could pick out the sound of a single vehicle in traffic from approx 450 feet away, with the vehicle being out of sight? All this from sitting in a car and watching the traffic in the mirror. If so, do you believe you could tell that specific vehicle was speeding 10 miles over the speed limit?

http://autos.aol.com/article/audible-speeding-tickets

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    My line of work requires heavy support for law enforcement, and I usually can appreciate the views of law enforcement personnel, but this is crazy!

Do any of you believe that you could pick out the sound of a single vehicle in traffic from approx 450 feet away, with the vehicle being out of sight? All this from sitting in a car and watching the traffic in the mirror. If so, do you believe you could tell that specific vehicle was speeding 10 miles over the speed limit?

good grief! what will they think of next to ream Joe Public...
    there goes my Nismo exhaust on my 4cylinder...argh...

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    hmmm......time to switch to a black electric vehicle with night vision and no headlights on.... wont be able to see or hear me ....

This shit wont hold up in court and will get tossed out. On the other hand I'm a biker as well and in daytona for bike week they do issue tickets for loud pipes but I've only seen them issued to idiots that go around revving thier pipes usually infront of the police. I'm sure you could hear my bike at least 1/2 a mile away, it makes a racket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1000.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	763.4 KB 
ID:	166693  

+1
    A quick defense COULD have been..."I was in third gear, Mr. Officer."

What was it actually? Like 7 mph over? Crazy! The cat must have had big wheels, hat on backwards or something else the officer took offense to.

My 07 Camry has black windows. 2.4% of light travels through. I would have thought I would get pulled over frequently for it, but only 3 times since March 2006. (Yes, the 2007's were released in early March of 2006)

1) while pulling into my parking lot at work. When the cop recognized me when I got out, and said "disregard" on his radio. started his motorcycle and left.

2) Baton Rouge Police. Cop in left turn lane at light, and I pull next to him window-to-window...lol. I was going straight. I was staring at him (he couldn't see me) and knew I was getting stopped, when his turn light cycled through and he didn't budge.

3) LA State Police. Pulled over for speeding. While I walk around to passenger side to get info from glove box, trooper measures my tint and says it was 3%. I replied with "Thats awefully dark" and handed him the paperwork for the tint. He didn't like it and I got the speeding ticket...taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post

The title of this thread implies that the ticket was issued based the officer hearing a car. The citation was actually issued based on the display of the radar unit. One could assume that the officer heard the vehicles engine race as the driver picked up speed. This noise, which could easily be heard from a great distance, could have gotten the officers attention causing him to watch behind his car. Last, based on my experience, you can tell if a vehicle is speeding while observing it through the rear view or side mirror.

"3) LA State Police. Pulled over for speeding. While I walk around to passenger side to get info from glove box, trooper measures my tint and says it was 3%. I replied with "Thats awefully dark" and handed him the paperwork for the tint. He didn't like it and I got the speeding ticket...taken care of."

What paperwork allows you to tint past the legal limit and how do you get the citation "taken care of"? Just curious.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole1975 View Post
    The title of this thread implies that the ticket was issued based the officer hearing a car. The citation was actually issued based on the display of the radar unit. One could assume that the officer heard the vehicles engine race as the driver picked up speed. This noise, which could easily be heard from a great distance, could have gotten the officers attention causing him to watch behind his car. Last, based on my experience, you can tell if a vehicle is speeding while observing it through the rear view or side mirror.
    Did you read the entire thread? The first Appeal case threw out the radar, taking the case back to district/city court (depending on location) where the same court said the officer had sufficient cause (aka probable cause) to warrant the citation based on the sound as described in the article.

Can you tell a vehicle is speeding by 7 miles per over in a mirror? Also in traffic, 450 feet away...to single out the specific car. Eagle Eye! The second court of appeal trial said it is impossible to do, without scientic evidence.

Banned User
    +1
    Da whistles go WHOOOOOO!!!!

+1
    I go through West Salem on the way to my gun club. It is a small "one horse" "one light" town. I'm not surprised that something like this happened there, but I think it is a little outrageous. I'm amazed that this didn't get thrown out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information