Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    canadian iceman
    +1

rxpx crankcase question?

storey goes like this...changed a prop on my rxpx and I guess I didn't tighten it enough and of course....it backspun forward and ate all the plastic veins in the pump shoe!! so...when I limped the boat back to the trailer and pulled the pump and delt with the damage(ground out the viens)...lput the prop back in tight this time....and I mean tight!! at the time I was around the tuning gods and they told me to pull my oil filter and check it....i was surprized to see that it(the oil filter) was full of metal shavings....oh oh...I guess when the impeller comes off like that it drives the impeller and driveshaft into the pto/crankshaft and the forced preasure takes out the THRUST WASHERS ON THE CRANK!
    Has this ever happened to anyone else?...so i must pull the engine and drop the oil pan and replace thrust washers!...do I have to remove the main bearing caps? or anything else or will the washers slide into place?....anybody??

canadian iceman
    +1
    can anyone chime in on this issue?

+1
    I have seen it happen just as you said. I helped repair the engine.

What actually happenned is it spun the rear thrust bearing in the case, and broke off the locating tab, in addition to sending the bit of metal into the system. I did pull all the bearing caps to inspect them, they were all ok, but I changed all of the shells anyway just because I was there.

The only thing you need to look for if it happened in your motor is you have to find the little broken off tab. The one I did, after looking around was in the bottom of the sump.

If the owner had continued to run the engine, there would have been big problems with that spun and damaged thrust bearing, so I suggest not running it at all.

canadian iceman
    +1
    thanks for the input...i must add that after this happened I idled to the trailer and pulled the pump...tightend the prop back down cleaned up the splines and went back out and rode a 20 minute moto on bouys!! so...if it didn't blow this thing up by then it should be ok i think...?...I will probably just pulll the engine and drop the pan and replace as discussed. can i drop the pan only? and can i install these thrust bearing and washers by just dropping the pan? thanks for your help

+1
    it is not really the "pan" it is the bottom half of the cases. The main bearing shells fit into the bottom half. But yes, you can pull the bottom half and change the thrust bearings without too much drama.

Good luck.. all in a day or 2's work..

+1
    If you have any signs of brass or awhole lot of splinters in the oil filter the motor is junk. Have seen this happen alot.

What has happened is the driveshaft has pushed ALL the thrust washers out and has thrown the crank into the cases causing the cases to be unrepairable and also the crank.
    If you got alittle hear and there of splinters in the oil filter you should be OK. You have nothing to lose but the oil pump/mag housing if you continue to ride it. Pistons will probably be damaged also.

If the impeller is not balanced correctly it can vibrate and losen off the threads and walk down the shaft and cause this to happen also.

Happen to me when I was testing impellers for Skat back in March of 04 but the pump shoe was not able to be saved. At this time Skat learned how important the balance of these 3blade impellers were. Seadoo didnt have a pump shoe available for sale yet (March04) and the ski sat for 2 months until the shoe was ready atleast it gave me time to rebuild the motor. Make sure your impeller is balanced or not viberating.
    WHAT A LEARNING LESSON!

+1
    I had a customers that did the same thing,but the case and crank where junk ruined the thrust area on the crank,spun one main bearing and ruined the crankcase

canadian iceman
    +1
    thanks JD1...in this case...i must say that once i cleaned up the ride shoe splines and installed the pump....i went and rode the bag off of it for at least 20 min...it didn't even hickup!...nothing...ran perfect....i only noticed the metal filings in the filter once i pulled the filter(as told by Less Cooke)...and that was when i found the small amount of shavings...very little in fact...just enough to spread the folds in the filter and then the shavings were evedent...so...I will drop the bottom half once i pull the engine and check this all out...thanks

Corey is it COLD there? Geez it is in the 40's here!! I'm in Florida and I wont get on My rxp-x for any amount of money! YOUR IN CANADA GO SIT BY THE FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WONT BREAK STUFF BY THE FIRE!

Troy

canadian iceman
    +1
    slugger you a pussie!!....lol...we wear dry suits in canada in the 40's...I wish I could ride...we just came off a cold snap where it was 30 below for a month and a half....talk about tinkering in the garage!!! trust me...im not riding either!! stay warm!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information