Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Race, wreck, repeat delagem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer, NY
    Posts
    728
    +1
    2

    Swain Tech Coatings

    In my Jetmate motor build, I'm a bit concerned, as the motor I'm building for it is a copy of the Kawasaki SX-R standup. People don't normally ride standups WOT for 5 miles straight, but the Jetmate gets that all the time....

    So one of the things I'm trying to add a little cushion with is piston coatings. I just got these back from Swain Tech, a shop out near Rochester, NY. This is their TBC coating on top, and PC9 on the skirts.

    TBC is a ceramic thermal barrier, and PC9 is a solid film lubricant. The PC9 is pretty clever, normally it's applied at .0008" thickness, but they can apply it up to .004" thick, to save a piston that's borderline out of spec.

    For $38/piston, I thought I'd give it a try!

    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6461.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	167017  


  2. #2
    thester71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    central ma.
    Posts
    1,698
    What do the coatings do?does the coating affect cylinder clearance?

  3. #3
    Hayabusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Trenton Michigan
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    In my Jetmate motor build, I'm a bit concerned, as the motor I'm building for it is a copy of the Kawasaki SX-R standup. People don't normally ride standups WOT for 5 miles straight, but the Jetmate gets that all the time....

    So one of the things I'm trying to add a little cushion with is piston coatings. I just got these back from Swain Tech, a shop out near Rochester, NY. This is their TBC coating on top, and PC9 on the skirts.

    TBC is a ceramic thermal barrier, and PC9 is a solid film lubricant. The PC9 is pretty clever, normally it's applied at .0008" thickness, but they can apply it up to .004" thick, to save a piston that's borderline out of spec.

    For $38/piston, I thought I'd give it a try!

    Michael

    That's the stuff I'm using on the Wiseco pistons in my heavily modified Pro 1200. I'm running compression at 200 psi and so far, no issues with the coatings or engine for that matter. However, it's hard to say or prove that it's helped with engine performance or reliability.

  4. #4
    Hayabusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Trenton Michigan
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    What do the coatings do?does the coating affect cylinder clearance?
    Among other things, the ceramic thermal barrier coating helps keep heat in the cylinder (which can help performance if the engine is set up to take advantage of it) being it reduces the amount of heat transferring to the piston. Especially to the underside of the top of the piston. The solid film lubricant should reduce friction/wear and minimize the possibility or reduce the damage, from a piston seizure. Piston to cylinder wall clearance will be affected and it can be slightly modified by varying the film thickness.

  5. #5
    PolarisNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    I've used it in the past, and the engines will still burn down if its too lean or has too much timing.

    If I had an engine that was going to do lots of WOT running, I'd just be sure to run it a little on the rich side, and keep the timing reasonable.

  6. #6
    Hayabusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Trenton Michigan
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    I've used it in the past, and the engines will still burn down if its too lean or has too much timing.

    If I had an engine that was going to do lots of WOT running, I'd just be sure to run it a little on the rich side, and keep the timing reasonable.
    +1

  7. #7
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    I had the same type of coatings done by High Performance coatings on my pistons.

    In the instructions I got, it says to not adjust the piston clearances for the coatings.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,704
    +1
    109
    once you have them coated then i guess you must have your cylinders opened up to keep a good clearance ??? or do you leave them stock ???

  9. #9
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    First line of the instructions says to leave them stock.

    Delegem, what directions did they give you?


    Here's my link from a while back.

    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...coated+pistons

  10. #10
    Race, wreck, repeat delagem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer, NY
    Posts
    728
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    once you have them coated then i guess you must have your cylinders opened up to keep a good clearance ??? or do you leave them stock ???
    Hmm, this is interesting. Swain didn't address the decreased clearance at all. Thanks for the info from HPC, Kevin.

    I had planned on honing the cyl's back to the OEM spec.

    Randy did the bore, and based on his measurements it has closed up between .0002 and .0005". It's his opinion I should hone it back to his specs, so that's what I'm doing!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS - Parts FS, msx150 new oem pistons and ring set. Ceramic coated and skirt coated by swain
    By hill160881 in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2015, 10:26 AM
  2. Intercoolers - Rotax Racing v. Turbo Tech
    By Jarrett in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 08:31 PM
  3. Results of Stage I Kit from Race Tech
    By Red Devil in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 06:54 PM
  4. Intercooler from Turbo Tech
    By Compwhiz82 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 12:04 PM
  5. Gel Coat
    By jjaco in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •