Should I buy this Ultra 150?

I saw a 01 ultra 150 advertised for $900 and just had to go check it out. There was some good and bad. I looked inside and saw traces of muddy water. The story was the owner before him went out to his dock and found it floating upside down. So this guy buys it, drains the hull, pulls the plugs, turns the engine over to get the water out, puts the plugs back in, and it fires right up. Says they put about 30 - 40 hours on it since then with no problems. He tells me he starts it every once in a while, but hasn't had it on the water for a year and a half. The battery was shot so we jumed it off a riding mower battery and it fired right up and it sounded good. I did noticed a brown foamy kind of water blew out the exhaust. The hull looked OK, other than a 8" spot that needs to be reworked where he tried to fix a small crack on the side above the rubber bumper it was in pretty decent shape. The bottom looked great. What do you all think? $900 is cheap, how bad could it be?

900 is very cheap... you should have gotten some pics to post.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    for 900 you could part the thing out and make some change if you wanted to, jump on it

Sean

Sounds like a buy to me. I bought one cheaper but it was a basket case with a bad cylinder. I would check compression to be safe. A few other things to ask are. How many hours on the top end? How long since it had pump bearings? Have the oil lines been replaced? None of those would be deal breakers but could be used to negotiate the price down. The only reason I might walk away from it is if it had a sbt motor in it. I doubt it does if the current owner has 30 - 40 hours on it. Most cases a sbt motor wont last that long in an ultra. Let us know if you get it, several of us here can help you with what to check out.

+1
    Sounds like a good deal to me! If the hull isn't to great check out the NJ section here on GH or PM Crashhard. He has an ultra 150 hull he's trying to GIVE away...

The hull is in fair condition, although I did notice quite a few pin head size small bubbles under the paint. Anyone ever see that before? After thinking more about it, I'm guessing things aren't that great inside the engine after I saw brownish foamy stuff on the ground and in the tail pipe after it was running. My thinking is the brown is from rust, and it was caused by water in the gas or still in the engine. Either way, there is probably some pitting or corrosion going on in there. It did blow a lot of smoke, but what 2 stroke doesn't after sitting a long time? I don't mind having to have the top end redone, but really don't want to go any deeper. The owner was away for the weekend. I'm going to try to go tonight and check the compression. Thanks

+1
    I think bubbles in the paint would indicate a repair to the fiberglass. I've never seen one with bubbles from the factory.

The brown foamy stuff may be oil & water coming out the exhaust. It may be over-oiling from a broken cable on the oil pump. My Ultra used to have a lot of oil emulsion inside the hull because the seal on top of the oil reservoir doesn't seal well (known problem). It would drip out the drain plugs when I pulled them. I tried wrapping safety wire around it to seal it better, but it still leaked. The best solution is to leave the oil level about half full.

+1
    walk up to him with $720 cash and say well this is what I got.. Will probably take it. And if he lets it go for that more than likely he doesnt care or there is more to the story but for $720 you could have a super cheap ski to ride. Might need a rebuild but for the price...??

Thread Information