Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

air in pump again

Will,had a problem with my pump cavitating and put a new carbon seal and a seal gasket and put a 1/4 o-ring behind the boot to push it up and thought I had it fix,but it did it again.Just like before it spins out and will not let me out the hole,it seem it will only do it after a full throttle run when I come to a stop and go to get back out the hole it will just suck air from somewhere.I've been looking every thing over and can't find a thing that could cause this.Now I've order a new boot but did not get it in,hope that could help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buddydoo
    Will,had a problem with my pump cavitating and put a new carbon seal and a seal gasket and put a 1/4 o-ring behind the boot to push it up and thought I had it fix,but it did it again.Just like before it spins out and will not let me out the hole,it seem it will only do it after a full throttle run when I come to a stop and go to get back out the hole it will just suck air from somewhere.I've been looking every thing over and can't find a thing that could cause this.Now I've order a new boot but did not get it in,hope that could help.

my buddy has the same problem i will tell to come in to form and exchange ideas with you...

+1
    Thanks,I've been fighting that problem since MB and ready for it to end.

Cavitation

If you have a solas prop with a nose cone, check the o-ring that goes on the nose cone. Mine had gotton caught on the threads and was sticking out between the cone and the prop. This was enough to limit my top speed to 64.1. Took the cone off and threw it away and I went to 70.6 instantly.

Good luck.

+1
    I raced 2 rxt's last weekend that were running into that problem. They cavitated pretty bad from a hole shot. I told them to come on here and maybe someone could help them out.

think i had same problem finally fixed it when i put in thermostat i was all the way at bottom and did all the same things and then notice there is a bearing that rides in between carbon seal and the rubber boot towards motor it needed to be tightened did with oteckler pliers supplied by riva tightend up and got rid of troulble. hope you understand

+1
    I would check your prop for any cavitation burns or dings on the leading edge first, then check the engine mounts, and bolts that hold them to the hull. I've had these problems with loose bolts and brand new mounts, and with old mounts. Ocean riding/wave jumping is really rough on the engine mounts. Engine alignment can also cause the carbon seal to leak under acceleration. The floating ring C-clip may have come out, or even shims could be missing from under the engine mounts.

Hope this helps some

+1
    Will,the seal ring on front of the boot is not center with the carbon seal,about 1/16 more to the right.Could that make it not seal right,and caught air sometimes.Is that a sign of bad alignment.

What's the best way to get the alignment right,because I tried losing the back bolts on top of the two mount and it would not move using a 2X4.

+1
    yes, you can loosen the rear mounts, and slide the rear of the motor(with a long prybar) to get the best position possible without the alignment tools. It helped mine .

Loosen the 6mm allen bolts (pains in the ass) they have big slotted holes. The center top bolt hole is pretty tight, and won't move much.
    Last edited by psycho rxp; 09-01-2006 at 09:31 PM.

+1
    The new seal worked for me.Not 100% but alot better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information