Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

RX d.i. pretty good ski?

ive always liked the look of the rx's and thought about buying one way back in 2000 but went with the gpr. are these pretty good ski's? ive never owned a seadoo. ive always been a kawasaki guy except for the gpr. was looking at a 02 model with direct injection. is there anything i should be aware of? ive heard the 951 rotax can be a time bomb and it makes to much power for a 2 cylinder. is there anything to this or is it people not properly taking care of there stuff. any responses would be much appreciated! mike

+1
    951's can be very reliable if you maintain it. the DI's are more fuel efficent than the carbed models. the only thing that i dont like about the DI's is they are hard to diagnose when it finally starts to act up. their fuel pumps are known to go out occasionally, and they are not cheap to replace. 951's do make a good amount of power for their size and weight. if your in it for speed, DI's are not that mod friendly. i think there is a level 1 kit for them but thats it.

a 02 RX DI is a good fun ski. very stable, fast (58-60 stock).good 2 seater.

+1
    DI stands for..... Dont Invest

They are huge $ pits. Get a carbed version.

+1
    thanks guys! there is one on ebay right now with a buy it now for 2500 bucks that looks sweet! only 20 something hours! didnt know if i should take a ride to florida for a look. i do like there stable. im in a wheelchair and it would be near impossible if i had to roll one over if it tipped.

+1
    if you want to be stable, get a 951 powered gtx. i am able to stand in one footwell on my gtx and lean out without it rolling over. and i weigh 200 lbs. most stable hull seadoo evermade. 3 seater and you can tow a skier.

what ever you decide to get dont buy without test riding first!!

+1
    i know the gtx's are really good ski's but im more interested in another 2 seater since ive got a stx now. i would def. test ride anything used i look at! just wanting another 2 stroker to tinker with. ive done bout all i can to my stx cept a impeller and plan on that soon.

+1
    You really cant "tinker" with a DI motor,they are pretty much run as they are motors due to the fuel injection.

+1
    I had one an 01' and loved it. only had it for 100 or so,but was a fun, nimble machine,I had no major problems,had a ppg stage one kit installed,was in the low 60's....and was great on fuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    if you want to be stable, get a 951 powered gtx. i am able to stand in one footwell on my gtx and lean out without it rolling over. and i weigh 200 lbs. most stable hull seadoo evermade. 3 seater and you can tow a skier.

what ever you decide to get dont buy without test riding first!!
    True. All GTX hulls are super stable (the Gen-II, 951 powered, if you will, is my favorite and will do just what King describes).

However, since I picked a 2000 RX I have found that it is nearly the GTX's equal in stability. The hull is almost as wide and has deep, steep sides like the GTX (unlike the XPL, which is slanted up to a very shallow sideboard and an XPL is ANYTHING but stable).

I love the hull but I have mixed feelings on the DI. As has been stated, DIs are great when they work but can be a PITA and very expensive when they choose not to work.

IMO, if you go with an RX get a carbed one.

On a side note, even with a test ride it is hard to know just what issues you will run into with a used boat. I prefer to buy them already blown up. I bought our RX, rebuilt the engine, and put a new pump on it for less than 2000 bucks. Of course, I can do all that myself and save on the labor cost.

+1
    what year did the gen II 951 come out? im not really familiar with seadoos. ive been on a xp one time and it was all i could do to stay on it. whats your opinion about the gsx limited. i know there pretty fast ski's.
    how much slower is a rx compared to a gsx limited? is the perry level one kit the best mod for the money?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information