Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on a home gym

I'm looking to buy a home gym for the house. I have been looking at the Bowflex systems and have seen this on Craigslist. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/spo/1544424745.html
    Anyone have any input or opinions on what they use or would buy.

Thanks

+1
    I'd get a nice multiuse power rack, adjustable bench, bar, bunch of weights, and some dumbells.

+1
    Total gym get one off Ebay!

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Home gyms can be great - IF you actually use them. I know lots of people who have set up a variety of gym systems in their homes and 6 months later they're not being used. You have to be really disciplined with your workouts at home. It's easy to blow off a day, then another, and another because it's so convenient.

It's a lot of money to invest, buying a Bowflex System, so I'd suggest some free weights, a bench, and stability ball. You can get great results from using those.

If you want to add some passive exercise, do what I do. I sit on a stability ball at my desk. When on Greenhulk, I'm on the ball! Great for working on the core muscles and balance while you do other things.

There's also a lot of info online and from me.

I'm currently working on my Personal Trainer Certification, not to mention I've been weight training for 15 years.

My personal choice is to go to my local gym. I'm inspired by all the people (okay - the guys) pumping iron around me. Makes me work harder.

Quote Originally Posted by M447 View Post

My personal choice is to go to my local gym. I'm inspired by all the people (okay - the guys) pumping iron around me. Makes me work harder.

I've joined gyms. IMO, it's a PITA to drive to the gym to work out. When I was single, I had my basement set up with everything. 300 + lbs of olympic weight, squat rack, home made pulley setup, etc. I always was more disciplined working out in the basement rather than going to a gym.

+1
    I got the "Insanity" workout for Christmas and I tell you it's by far the toughest workout I've ever done. No weights or equipment needed. Hell the people in the videos are ripped and they can't even complete it. It's a high intensity workout like "hiit" but inverted so the work load is 5:1 work/rest ratio. Every muscle in your body feels completely shocked when done. I just cancelled my gym membership.

Look into P-90x . You will need some dumbells, ( or resistance bands depending on your strength and goals) a pull up bar, and floor that is clean enough to lay on. If my basement had higher ceilings, I'd do it. Ive done the workouts at friends' houses. The DVD's cost around 100.

Or research workouts on crossfit.com. There are workouts that can be done at home/in neighborhood with running, using jumpropes, bodyweight, heavy objects like sandbags, etc. INTENSE is an understatement.

Friends have purchased home gyms and like what was eariler, end up being overpriced clothes racks. If you are motivated enough, p90 X is the way to go.

I'm just fresh out of neck surgery and have major lower back issues. The surgery on the neck has been a success, and therapy had me doing some minor weight training. I want to get back into it like when I was younger and single. If it is in my basement, I will definately take advantage of it. I'm hoping to avoid back surgery by working out and getting back into shape. I appreciate the input, keep it comming.
    Thanks

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 Pro Mick View Post
    I've joined gyms. IMO, it's a PITA to drive to the gym to work out. When I was single, I had my basement set up with everything. 300 + lbs of olympic weight, squat rack, home made pulley setup, etc. I always was more disciplined working out in the basement rather than going to a gym.

If that's what works well for you, you have the discipline to carry through. Your first set up sounds great as it fit your needs and you were motivated to use it. If that set up would fit your needs again today, do it.

You may decide after buying the Bowflex, it may not be right for you. Have you any experience working with one? Do your diligence with this product - it's for sale for a reason. I'll bet the owner stopped using it long ago. Ask them when they last used it.

I've never used one, so I'm not sure of the longevity of the machine, failures, warranties, etc., so familiarize yourself before spending the $$$. One thing I do for researching products online is typing in the name with "sucks" after it. It's amazing what you'll learn.

It really comes down to what you need and want to reach your fitness goals. Everyone's needs, choices and opinions will differ.

I am interested about your final decision and how your choice works for you going forward.

Keep us in the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by M447 View Post

I am interested about your final decision and how your choice works for you going forward.

Keep us in the loop.

I think I am going to go with the Bowflex. I have recieved some decent reviews on that. I can get one used for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information