Marine Radio on RXT

My dad and I were at a boatshow this weekend where we picked up a few items for his 23' center console. Among them, he purchased a few hand held VHF marine radios to supplement the on-board in case of emergency. Well, that qualified us for another heavily discounted marine radio. It comes with mounting kit, etc. We thought it might be a good idea to put it on the RXT in case something happens in open water. My question is, how would I go about installing this unit, and where might I mount an antenna?

Or, perhaps, this is just a bad idea. What do you think?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you asking about installing a fixed mount radio, or a handheld VHF radio?

On a PWC, a handheld radio is usually preferable, unless you need long radio range.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you asking about installing a fixed mount radio, or a handheld VHF radio?

On a PWC, a handheld radio is usually preferable, unless you need long radio range.
    My dad wants to keep the handheld models with him, but gave me the fixed mount version for the rxt. Is there a way to install it, or should I not bother?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea_major View Post
    ...gave me the fixed mount version for the rxt.

Is there a way to install it, or should I not bother?
    How big is it?

What make/model?

Can it use a remote microphone with radio controls built into the mic?

How long a radio range do you need (miles)?

+1
    frankly, thats makes no sense, keeping the handhelds for something else??
    they are perfect for the RXT. the fixed mount is not ideal for the ski. the handheld is.
    we typically keep the radios on charge in the garage, near the lifevests, and when its time to go out on a ski or boat, just grab one along with the vest or other gear, and go.
    that way they are always on charge, and can cover many water vehicles without having to buy one radio for each one.
    we got 3 skis and a boat, 1 radio.
    dont bother mounting the clunky radio in the ski, sell it on ebay and get another handheld, or convince your dad to share!!!!!

+1
    tell him to trade the fixed one for 1 handheld, thats a good deal and the fixed one would be better for his boat.

Installation of a VHF Marine Radio in PWC

ok. I know of a few folks that have installed a 25W VHF marine radio into a PWC. There are several factors involved. #1 Make, model and year of the PWC. The more room you have, the better. Also, the body style is a consideration if you mount the antenna near the bow hatch.

#2 The make and model of the VHF marine radio. Some can utilize the remote or WHAM mike. I purchased NorthStar 1000 when a store had them on sale for $80.00! This is normally a $275 plus radio. There is an external plug mounted on the ski where the handset plugs into. I'll try to make an installation instruction when the snow stops in VA and can work on it. I have no garage. I patrol with the USCG Auxiliary on PWCs. The group in Juneau, Alaska uses several different types of radio installs. Send me your email and I'll send you the instruction. It might give you an idea. I have several instructions that I could post.

#3 The marine antenna should the center console type, 36" - 38" in length. Again, mounting will be a challenge based on the antenna, mount and body type of PWC.

#4 Battery amperage. Check to see that the marine radio and the PWC electronics alone do not draw more than can be charged up. At least you should not be transmitting on the radio all day.

I have a HH model ( Icom IC-M72 ). It is the model that FLOATS !

It is perfect for the Ski because it floats and is very compact and offers the highest transmit wattage allowable.

Icom has been aorund forever and make superb radios.

Just my 2 cents.... but I'd go with a hand held.

Some people think they can use nothign but a cellphone... but we all know what happens when you get a cell phone wet.....

I just feel safer with a VHF on the ski. Plus a waterproof flashlight and a stobe light just for kicks.

Thread Information