Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WaveJammer Project - Round 2

It's getting to be a very long off season and I'm getting the itch to play with my water toys again! Here in MN we still have another good 2-3 months of winter. With that said, I'm thinking of pulling out the old Wavejammer project and doing a little work on it.

I've posted a thread awhile back about swapping in a 650 into my 'Jammer. The motor bolts right in and I haven't had any real major issues with it yet. But all I've really done is swap in the motor, fire it up and smile! I have yet to take it on the water.

So here's my dilemma, should I keep the stock 500 pump (which I've been told if a 113mm) or should I swap in the pump from the Waverunner LX650 hull I have? A few people have said that the 113 is way too small for the power of the 650. And of the flip side, the 650 pump (I think it's a 144mm) setup would just cause more cavitation.

What do you guys think I should do? Has anyone ever done a similar swap and had good results?

WR/WJ/LX have the same pumps (two stage)... wrIII is a different pump(one stage),grate and plate..

The wj is so much lighter,shorter and narrower,that it may hall ass with the 650 change (bullraider did this years ago putting a 701 into a WR,but with out the laters hull pump change) alone as it will have the power to turn a steeper two stage impeller ...if you find a jet dynamics scoop grate you will be able to feed the little pump with good 'clean' water ,and possible use the 650's added power and rpm..

the Wr III s pump wont fit with out engine mounting angle changes and also grafting of a WrIII bottom onto the W/J...(stay with the little pump!!)

Isn't the pump larger in the WR650's vs. the 500's?

not that I have seen.... just different pitch impellers..

you can add a larger bowl finding an n/o/s protec and get better after market impellers ..you can hone your existing exit nozzel , to give you a bit more volume...filling your bildge venturi will help.. also set your impeller gap as close as you can with out touching.
    a scoop grate will help also, along with sealling the pump so air is not pulled in...

+1
    Sounds like a cool project.

I'd love to see you find a way to mod the hull (glass in strakes, sponsons, etc.) and really get that thing to rail turns!

putting on ocean pro' longer finned plate, jet dynamic scoop grate and the bigger protec bowl will help its tracking..
    it being flat bottomed ,these will only do so much...it was designed to slide out easyly .... that was the fun of the W/J...

I have a extended Pro-tec rideplate from a WaveRunner 500 if your interested. It would fit a Jammer. I'd let it go cheap.

That is correct about the LX650 having the same pump as the WR500(113mm)... Ive converted a 88' WR500 into a LX650 and only need different bed plates and a different coupler for the 650 engine. and like said the WRIII has the 144mm pump and will not fit in a WR/LX hull(same hull).
    Those old waverunner hulls are the funniest things ever. Its like a spoon with a motor! They can really slide!

SUPERJET, how much do you want for the Pro-tec rideplate?

I totally agree with you, the older Waverunners/Jammers are a blast to ride. But I prefer the 'Jammers to the 'Runners because of the handling and all out oddity of them. Up here in MN, I get people asking me what the hell it is everywhere I ride. I just wish these little buggers handled better in choppy water! Just the smallest wake make them cavitate like crazy. UGH! Hopefully the little extra HP from the 650, upgraded impller, open intake grate and a finned ride plate will help out some.

I'm also gonna make my first attempt at "professionally" painting with this little toy... wish me luck! I'll post pics as the project goes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepjunkie View Post
    SUPERJET, how much do you want for the Pro-tec rideplate?

I totally agree with you, the older Waverunners/Jammers are a blast to ride. But I prefer the 'Jammers to the 'Runners because of the handling and all out oddity of them. Up here in MN, I get people asking me what the hell it is everywhere I ride. I just wish these little buggers handled better in choppy water! Just the smallest wake make them cavitate like crazy. UGH! Hopefully the little extra HP from the 650, upgraded impller, open intake grate and a finned ride plate will help out some.

I'm also gonna make my first attempt at "professionally" painting with this little toy... wish me luck! I'll post pics as the project goes along.
    I sent you a PM.

What bed plate and coupler do I need to put a 650 engine in a 1988 WR500?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information