Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

R&D Supercharger Oil

I picked up the R&D Supercharger oil going on a few months ago. I got a chance over the weekend and figured I'd swap out the oil in my 250. To my suprise the entire quart bottle was frozen solid.
    I contacted R&D and below is the send/receive from our emails. I don't think I'll be running this since my ski sees freezing weather sitting in the cold garage. Just wanted to give a heads up cause now I have a quart of oil that will see no use. Wish I had known... Oh well..

__________________________________________________ _____________

Doug,

The R&D Supercharger/clutch Oil is a specialized fluid with a modified carbon chain that can take the high temperatures seen in superchargers and clutch systems. Because of its stability at high temps, it will free in cold temps. My suggestion is drain the fluid in cold temps.

-R&D

In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
    I bought some R&D Dominator Clutch Fluid for my 07' Kawasaki Ultra 250x Jetski's supercharger.
    When I went to replace the fluid I noticed that the quart I bought was frozen! It's been about 30 degrees here in NJ for a week or so but I didn't expect the oil to be frozen in my garage.
    This worries me putting it in the supercharger if it's going to freeze over the winter....
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superchargeroil.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	167468  

Oh shit, that aint good at all.

that could do some damage if it froze in a blower
    i dont know what its expansion rate is but it would still expand to some extent and could bust some schiet up bad....

Well doug looks like you will just have to put a vortech on it for saftey

+1
    Yea, I'm kinda bumbed because I waisted good money on something I can't use. That I never would have bought if I knew better.

On the other hand I'm glad I found out before I actually used it...

No Brad, no Vortech for me... It's going to be/stay a 68-70mph stockish rough water ski. Unless your volunteering to send one my way as a freebie!
    I left the heavy mods behind me along with both GPR's last year...

Take Care Guys!
    Doug

That was a shock to me too Drew. I found this on an Oil Tech website; looks like oils can freeze. But it does not appear it was that cold in Jersey so how your oil froze seems a mystery. Where I am low temps are not an issue, but this is good to know nonetheless . . .

A typical bottle of motor oil contains millions of different molecular structures, each of which solidifies at a different temperature, so the oil would not freeze all at once. Natural motor oils become cloudy if cooled below 15 degrees Fahrenheit, as waxy molecules in the oil begin to condense into small crystals. Manufacturers add organic molecules to control the size and growth of these wax crystals, lowering the solidification point to -30 or -35 [degrees] F. Synthetic motor oils, which have more tightly controlled molecular structures, are used in colder climates because they freeze at lower temperatures, but even synthetic oils will solidify at temperatures below -40 [degrees] F. That's why people in Alaska often leave their vehicles running in winter.

+1
    I have no idea John. The quart was unopened and by R&D's response they don't seem suprised...I mean, we've had some cold nights and there is ice on our lakes but it is MUCH colder in other areas I'm sure. Plus, this quart was in the garage so it had some protection.

I would just hate to see anyone have supercharger problems because this stuff froze in their ski.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I have no idea John. The quart was unopened and by R&D's response they don't seem suprised...I mean, we've had some cold nights and there is ice on our lakes but it is MUCH colder in other areas I'm sure. Plus, this quart was in the garage so it had some protection.

I would just hate to see anyone have supercharger problems because this stuff froze in their ski.
    there`s no way it got down below 32 in your garage...
    the coldest I`ve seen it in mine so far was 38*

+1

Re: R&D Supercharger Oil

If you don't sell it/dispose it, I can run some cold property analysis on it for ya doug. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If you don't sell it/dispose it, I can run some cold property analysis on it for ya doug. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll give you the entire quart. I'd be curious as to what you find out.

+1
    Doug,
    The response from R&D is typical of the way they bring stuff to market and fail to tell their customers the whole story about that product.
    Drain the S/C on a 250x......... yeah right
    Easyer said than done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information