Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prohibido usuario
    +1

Stock RXT Question

First I want to say this board is awesome. Green Hulk you have done a great job. I have purchased a 04 RXP and a 05 RXT. Can't wait till fall to start modding them. I have an awesome paint theme for both of them that will match my truck, which is a "special addition" Ford f-150. Thats all you get for now as not to spoil the suprise.
    I got too close to shore on my RXT the first day I had it. I know, the pump has incredible suction. Lesson learned. Well I pick up a rock that was too large to make it through the impeller. It did moderate damage to the impeller and the wear ring. Since I had already been to this site and Riva's and saw some of the "How to's" I felt that i could fix it myself. This all happened at 1.5 hours. Removed all the components, found the rock, inspected the damage (minor chipping of the leading edges of the impeller and a slight groove in the wear ring), and reassembled the ski. I test rode it the next day and it seemed to run fine except for the cavitation on take off. That seems to be a common problem for anyone with a worn wear ring from what I have read. Hit 5 hours today so i decided to do some GPS testing.

Conditions
    93 degrees
    86 degree water
    76% humidity
    500 ft. above sea level
    slight chop
    half tank of fuel
    Ski had been rode already for over 1 hour
    300+ pound rider

Results
    Avg top speed 62.0
    top speed 62.3 both ways on consecutive runs
    top rpm's 7700

I considered those to be strong numbers. Looking at the Riva data worries me though. I realize that there test rider was probably slightly lighter than me and their testing was done under more favorable conditions, so the slower speed seems right. What about the rpm's though? Can the lower number be contributed to the low hours, damaged pump, extra weight, atmospheric differences, or heat fade? Is it a combination of all these?
    I am waiting till after the 10 hour service to put on the Riva stage one kit so I plan on not replacing the impeller or wear ring till that time. Do I need to worry about anything? I already know i will be purchasing my mods from Way2fast since he is so helpfull around here.

It sounds like a combination of all those things! If you get a new Wear ring try to invest the money in a stainless steel one instead of a plastic one! Way2Fast is the man to be purchasing your parts from! Good luck with your new ski's and take care of them!

Again welcome to the Board!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    62 mph seems awesome to me considering the damage which you know exists... a wear ring with some cavitation with cause you to lose about 100 RPMS i've found when at Wide Open throttle.... any nicks and whatnot on the edges of the impeller also will contribute to RPM lose... and of course a little heat fade.. so ur dead on with the factors which attribute to a loss of perfoamnce.

Have you checked the oil level in the RXT when the ski is at opeating temp and really hot? i recommend you check the oil after you've gone riding for a good 20 minutes at least... go to a dock in very calm water... let it rest for a minute, and check the oil... you want it between the two indentations on the dipstick...

you are still breaking in... i would recommend you get thru your first 10 hours (give or take) .. you can do the 10 hour service at 8 hours, 10 hours, 15 hours... whatever, just make sure you get it done!!

at that point i would say new wear ring, clean up the impeller and get it back in proper shape... get the oil level perfect, then do speed runs and let us know how you make out.

i'm up north (long island NY) .. but we've had about 3-4 weeks of extreme heat going for us so far... in the 90s.... close to 100 couple times... humidity and heat index thru the roof.. after heat fade is all done and said, i'm still able to pull at a minimum of 8000 RPMS... perfect watet and air she is PINNED at 8100... i average 66.1 mph... i'ev had peak speeds in the 67's... and up to 68.1 .... but i don't count them as my RXT's peak speed... i average them in different directions and consistently arrive at 66.1 mph on GPS. (that is with PERFECT oil, brand new wear ring, and clean as a whistle prop)

are you on lake norman. i was visiting 2 weeks ago..beautiful lake..the biggest lake i have ever seen. with the conditions you are in those numbers look about right. def get a hold of rich(way2fast) for parts..he's the guy you need to talk to.
    when i was there you couldnt jump in the water cause it would burn you.water was 96 and air was 120..rediculously hot. a power filter and a power pipe would help with heat fade. just make sure you run the filter element for the power filter up toward the front of the ski more so its not sucking in 180 degree air right hext to the engine. welcome to the boards.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Funny you should mention the oil. I checked it today and it is actually above the top indention by about 1/8 of an inch. Trying to figure out how to get a little bit out before I go riding tomorrow. My dealers are good guys and do a lot of free stuff for me but have little actual knowledge about the skis. Told one of the techs my speed today and he was like it should be around 70. Whatever!!! I told them what I was planning on doing to the ski after 10 hr service and they said be careful it might void my warranty and I should let them do the work just to be safe. No way! If I do it I know its done correctly.
    I read your post about being at Lake Norman the day after you were here. Wish I knew you were coming, I have an awesome ride we do there. We hit a couple of bars, a couple of islands and then go up the river portion of the lake where the water is cooler and like glass. The week you were here was the hottest temps we have had in 6 years. Its an average size lake, I want to say its 25,000 acres. There are some bigger ones in South Carolina. Ones 56,000 acres and there are two beside each other in the lower part of the state that are like 30,000 and 70,000 acres.

awesome lake, i have a feeling ill be renting a house for a week next summer.

+1
    I grew up on Long Island and would go boating at Candlewood Lake in Conn. or Lake George in Upstate NY. I was in the USCG in Cape May, yet I never heard of this lake !. Just when you think you went everywhere and did everything, you find out that there are places you never knew existed. The only lake I knew about in Jersey was Greenwood lake. I wish I knew about the other lakes in NJ when I lived up north !!

Richard

Pay 85 dollars send to to impros.com and let Dave get it back to new and be done with it.

I'd do a riva stage I intake filter and have him repitch your stock while he's at it.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Way2fast this lake is in North Carolina. Mxl16 came down for vacation. If you come next year guess we will go riding together.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Kinchyle, is there anything wrong with the impeller that comes with the Riva stage 1? With the wear ring having a groove can I still flip it around or do I need a new one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information