just bought new ski!!!! question!!!

Hey guys, I just bought another ski and was wondering how expensive and how much work it is to convert it to premix. Here it is!!!! BTW I know it's not an old school ski but I know more of the guys on this thread than on the others and they have always been helpful. Thanks for the advice ahead of time!!!

2005 Yamaha GP1300R Wave Runner with Trailer

Please wait
    Image not available

Ended:Jan 11, 201003:58:16 PSTBid history:1 bid

Winning bid:US $4,000.00

Get low monthly payments

Paymenteposit of US $500.00 within 48 hours of auction close. Full payment required within 7 days of auction close.

Shipping:Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping. Vehicle shipping quote is available.
    Item Location:Metairie, LA, United States

Seller info
    tberna1 ( 21)

Ask a question
    Save this seller

See other items

Other item info
    Item number:180452433705Item condition:--Sells to:United States
    This vehicle is eligible for up to $50,000 in Vehicle Purchase Protection

Share PrintReport item

Description Shipping Payment Before You Buy

Please wait
    Image not available

Safe Buying Tips for Vehicles
    NEVER pay for a vehicle by instant cash transfer, such as Western Union or Moneygram

Also the ski in in louisiana but I am guessing it has already been winterized. So should I expect the ski to still start right up and also once started should i rewinterize or will it be okay?

hey bro all you need to do is remove the oil pump from the front cover, block off the hole with a premix plate (10.00) block off the holes where the oil used to inject and lastly tie up the oil level sensor so its not bugging out on you..thats how we do it on our skis i think its the same fore you..oh dont forget to drain the gas tank

dont assume its winterized ...dont assume it runs.. make sure...get the seller to start it and if at all possible take it for a spin.. should be up in the 60-70 this week here in florida so la, may be fairly close by then...

before driving back to thru cold country, tilt the ski as far back as you can start her up and try to flush as much exhaust water out as possible let her idle for a few quick on off cycles to help dry the engine out.. then fog it if you have time ..if not wait till you get home...if you have a yami (vac style cover ) put it on and then eveny better still get a tarp to cover it all ...wrap the shiot out of it with polly rope till it looks like a mummy(NO LOOSE ENDS) you should be good for the road...oh and check those bearings and tires on the trailer along with air pressures ( try to carry a spair that fits if at all possible)

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    dont assume its winterized ...dont assume it runs.. make sure...get the seller to start it and if at all possible take it for a spin.. should be up in the 60-70 this week here in florida so la, may be fairly close by then...

before driving back to thru cold country, tilt the ski as far back as you can start her up and try to flush as much exhaust water out as possible let her idle for a few quick on off cycles to help dry the engine out.. then fog it if you have time ..if not wait till you get home...if you have a yami (vac style cover ) put it on and then eveny better still get a tarp to cover it all ...wrap the shiot out of it with polly rope till it looks like a mummy(NO LOOSE ENDS) you should be good for the road...oh and check those bearings and tires on the trailer along with air pressures ( try to carry a spair that fits if at all possible)
    Now if I dont end up taking it out on the water and just start it on the trailer do I need to tilt it up and get water out? I've never winterized a jet-ski before so what all goes into it? I know you said to fog it but what does that entail? Also I'm guessing all three cyclinders should be reading around 130 right?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lots of fogging and winterizing threads already posted. Search is your friend.

Do take the time to check the trailer over carefully. If the tires are older than 5 years, they may be dried out from age and at the end of their safe lifespan, even if the tread is still deep. The tire date code is stamped into one side of each tire, so you may need to crawl under the trailer to check. Google how to read the date code on ST trailer tires. Check both tires.

Jack up each trailer wheel and give it a spin. Any grinding noise or stiffness means the wheel bearings are probably failing. You do NOT want a tire or wheel bearing failure at speed on the highway.

If there is any doubt about the tires or the bearings, either change them yourself, or have a shop do it before you haul it home. Greasing a failing bearing will not fix the problem, just delay the failure until farther down the road.

Also check the rest of the trailer for loose or missing nuts or bolts. Make sure the coupler latch is properly adjusted to tightly grip the ball. The adjustment nut is usually underneath the coupler. You want snug but not binding when the coupler is latched.

Also check the trailer lights - make sure they actually all work, and are not loose or damaged.

If the gasoline is not stale already, add a double dose of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to the PWC fuel tank before you head home. It will mix with the fuel while you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by tamous View Post
    Now if I dont end up taking it out on the water and just start it on the trailer do I need to tilt it up and get water out? I've never winterized a jet-ski before so what all goes into it? I know you said to fog it but what does that entail? Also I'm guessing all three cyclinders should be reading around 130 right?
    you need to run it on the hose for a bit ,the water box and engine cylinders will have water..you need to inspect this for leaks and over heat if possible 9this is why you need the ride besides listening for noises while underway... at the least i'd leave it run on the hose for a few minutes then run out the exess water ..a few flips of the throttle(with the hose off)with about 2 second bursts ,totaling 20 seconds aught to clear most of the water that would damage you if froze...

witerizing fogging can wait till your home.... run stabilizer thru the ski a few minutes before winertzing ,to get mixed fuel thru the carbs, pumps and lines...,winterizing is removing plugs and getting a good spray fogging oil down the cylinders...some fog thru the carbs while turning over ( plug removed,wires grounded please)... doing both is the best course to be well protected...I tilt my ski back and up on the trailer to get more water out of the exhaust system after blipping her thru ...take out the battery and get a minder charger for it...

follow the above advice on the trailer...
    I would definatly try to ride it before accepting the sale... (you wouldnt by a car for a few hundred with out a test drive...)

130 should be good (lower than 120, i'd hesitate) , but its more than that..make sure the cylinders are within 5-10% of each other too...
    (do a search for compression testing)
    hope this helps!!

Wow! All this info has been very helpful guys! I really appraciate it and I will be sure to do all those things. Wish me luck on the purchase!

Thread Information