Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar

Buying a used car

i am going to look at a jeep grand Cherokee tonight. what do i need to look at. i going to check compression, oil, water, and the trans. what else do i need to look at. i going to claw underneath and look. is there anything else i am missing.

Thanks

+1
    check for any rust obviously. the big thing you want to look for if it was in an accident people arnt always honest and if they pay out of pocket for the repair it isnt always on car facts. look for uneven body gaps in the the doors trunk and hood. lift the hood and trunk and look for wrinkling all along where the fenders and quarter panels are bolted or welded to the car. if you see something wrinkled or large and small gaps or the side of the car doesn't have smooth and even lines then its most likely had some type of body work.

i usually like to take a few quarts of oil with me and take a clear tomato sauce jar and take an small oil sample. let it sit in the jar for a little while see if you see any shavings. never saw any thing on a car but saved me when i went to buy a 4 wheeler. there was all metal shavings at the bottom of the jar.

What year is it? The late 90s and early 2k models had problems with the transfer cases burning out. Make sure 4wd works. Other than that, rust is the only real issue.. and in TX I doubt that its much of an issue at all compared to here.

The 4.0L is the better engine IMO and the V8 has miserable gas mileage. Thats something else I would consider when shopping..

good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdude35 View Post
    i am going to look at a jeep grand Cherokee tonight. what do i need to look at.
    What do you need to look at....
    You need to look at a Toyota.
    Seriously, I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, never again.

+1
    what year and motor? check the rear end fuild and make sure they kept it clean. my folks have a 2005 V5 150,000km's with ZERO problems. Breaks have been changed once and on the 2nd set of tires. Also pull are 24ft doral with it.

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    i went and looked at it last night. i checked everything no rust good compression. no flakes in oil. clean trans fluid four wheel drive worked. it is a 93 jeep grand Cherokee with the straight 6. it is part time 4 wheel drive. all i have to do is put a hitch on it for the ski. if does good i will bring it to mud bug. i get to pick it up tonight. will post pics.

Good luck. They are extremely reliable cars and they never lose value completely. You see them for sale in the northeast all rotted out with 225k on them and people are still getting 1500 bucks for them if 4wd works.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    Good luck. They are extremely reliable cars and they never lose value completely. You see them for sale in the northeast all rotted out with 225k on them and people are still getting 1500 bucks for them if 4wd works.

A heep is a reliable jeep...And they dont lose there value completly...Are u serious......Maybe out east..Out here they are consired junk rust buckets with bad trans bad hinges on doors.Which by the way when they go the whole front end of the car must be takin apart to do a hinge replacement...fender bumper etc..What a pain ....And all hinges go on this rat traps....Jeep reliable ok sure what 12s says ....Lol.....Sorry 12s IMO Your way off base .....Wow is all i can say Peace Good luck with the heep Dude...

Youd be shocked if you saw what was for sale up here. 87 jeeps with 200k+, floors rotted out, etc and people are still asking 1500 and getting it. This is in the Northeast mind you..

Here clean jeeps sell for double book value. The guy who bought my cherokee was from Colorado and he said the same thing. He will willing to pay above book value AND 800 to have it shipped from CT to CO just to get a clean one.

In some areas, the market for jeeps is nuts.

Not in illinois ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information