Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

94 polaris sl 650 not reving out on top end???

i might buy a 94 sl650 the guy said it idles and runs good but its not reving out on top end. what could this be if its a quick fix ill probally buy it. figure someone on here would no whats wrong Thanks for your time Lance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

You need to check the basics on the engine. Cylinder compression would be the first thing to check. All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open. Check each cylinder, then check them again. Make sure the readings are consistent, and the battery is strong.

A good engine will be within 5% from highest to lowest cylinder compression. 10% difference is the most you would want to run with.

If the engine has good compression, then the problem can probably be fixed cheaply. Carb cleaning, ignition wire end trimming, correct spark plugs.

Other possibilities are failing CDI ignition module or magneto stator inside the flywheel.

On the trailer, there is no water load on the jet pump, so even a weak engine can rev up. In the water, the engine will not rev if the power is not being produced.

yea thats the thing its 20 degrees here so you think i should just check the compression and if its good go ahead and buy it? I just dont wanna have to throw a bunch of money in it cause i can buy it fairly cheap? what would you do. i like to ride and not wrench

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    The decision to buy it needs to be based not only on the condition of it, but also what you consider to be 'cheap'. I just picked up a second '94 SL650 for my wife. They are quite easy to work on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LNewman View Post
    yea thats the thing its 20 degrees here so you think i should just check the compression and if its good go ahead and buy it?

I just don't wanna have to throw a bunch of money in it cause i can buy it fairly cheap? what would you do.

I like to ride and not wrench
    Buying a sixteen year old PWC is not a zero wrenching situation.

At the very least, the three carburetors should be removed, cleaned internally and rebuilt. The fuel and oil hoses should all be replaced, including any inside the fuel tank.

Fuel and oil filters should be replaced.

At 20 below, the engine will be way below normal operating temperatures, so the compression numbers may be off. If the rings are stuck from the cold, the numbers could be low, yet when the engine warms up they could be OK.

If you test it and one or two cylinders show VERY low compression, like zero, or well below 100 PSI, then it is likely the engine needs a top end rebuild.

If you turn the engine over by hand with the spark plugs out (grab the drive shaft coupler behind the engine), it should turn over with no grinding noise or piston slop. Again, in very cold temperatures, this will be hard to tell.

Click the links below, and read
    I am thinking of buying a PWC. Any tips?

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

well i can buy it for 400.00 it idles and runs good he said

Quote Originally Posted by LNewman View Post
    well i can buy it for 400.00 it idles and runs good he said
    As long as you don't mind spending a bit of time wrenching on it, it sounds like a good deal. I would take the gamble, but that is just me, you need to decide for yourself. Things that need to be done if not done already include, fuel pump upgrade, fuel line upgrade, check oil pump lines or convert to premix, clean the carbs if the fuel lines haven't been changed yet (the old lines break down inside and plug the carbs). Not a ton of work, but should be done. I would do the compression check, it will at least tell you if a piston has a hole or other major problem. Either way, parts for the 650s are easy to find around here and not too expensive. I have a couple extra 650 cylinders, head, and pistons if you need to replace one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    ...clean the carbs if the fuel lines haven't been changed yet...
    I would suggest cleaning the carbs regardless.

Not expensive or hard to do.

Much more expensive if you don't clean the carbs and a clogged carb causes a piston to burn down while you are out riding.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...I would suggest cleaning the carbs regardless...
    Yes, probably the best way to go. Especially if it wont rev out at full throttle. Could be a plugged passage or jet. Also wouldn't hurt to pull the heads and check piston wash after a compression check. Then you would have an idea if the jetting is close, or if there is a lean cylinder or two or three.

+1
    Take the heads off and check the pistons. if there all black, your way too lean. typical polaris problem. If they have bumps or chunks on or missing, you have other issues.$$$$$.. If he won't let you take the heads off, look inside the spark plug holes with a flashlight if you can get it in there to see if they are all black. . i'm guessing they are already. Compression check for sure. see where your at across all 3.

400.00 is an ok price. Just be willing to wrench a little and pay about 100-400 more getting her up n running perfect, then you will have a nice ski.

Carbs rebuild kits/139 for all three
    Fuel lines-25 feet for all. 30.00
    Triple outlet fuel pump upgrade. -30.00
    new plugs-10.00
    Theres 209.00 right there approx you need to bring it up to date.
    A gas cap upgrade in the tank too. they crack. Randy on here has some(watcon) I think.

Well all help you get it running!,, Another polaris saved!

Jkindt has 2 now , so if you need help or advice pr whatever, he will help you. he a great guy! lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information