Thread: cooler engine

cooler engine

how it is? plugs to the upper water output of the engine (cylinder head) keeps the engine cooler? or is it vice versa? To enable the engine to be a bit cooler than the original. fear of overheating. scooter is a 951cc GSX ltd -98 little Modified
    thanks conny

+1
    ?????? are you talking about the groupk head cooling taps? case cooler maybe? either way they both work well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sund View Post
    how it is? plugs to the upper water output of the engine (cylinder head) keeps the engine cooler? or is it vice versa? To enable the engine to be a bit cooler than the original. fear of overheating. scooter is a 951cc GSX ltd -98 little Modified
    thanks conny
    Yes you are correct the main water line to the engine goes to the cylinder head then water is forced through the galleries, some down through the cylinder block and out to the rear and the majority through the exhaust manifold passages and into the black exhaust pipe.From their it exits to the rear via another line at the bottom of the exhaust pipe above the oil pump.

It has a pisser line so the operator can visually see that water is flowing and another smaller line that runs back to the water box at the rear which feeds water back to the black exhaust pipe which keeps all the couplers from melting.
    The 951 works cooling works very well ,the only time I needed to install another cooling line and a crankcase cooler was on a twin pipe set up with lots of advance timing and compression. Even with a coffman pipe you don't need additional cooling features. what are your modifications ?

Is he talking about reverse cooling? Not sure if that was for a 951 but for 787. I really don't know much about it but I recall someone saying if you run the water system backwards it runs a little bit cooler. I think this is what he might be talking about...

Or maybe that was just in my sleep...

dean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw3 View Post
    Is he talking about reverse cooling? Not sure if that was for a 951 but for 787. I really don't know much about it but I recall someone saying if you run the water system backwards it runs a little bit cooler. I think this is what he might be talking about...

Or maybe that was just in my sleep...

dean
    My experience with reverse cooling was that it robbed you of a little power.The water is preheated first up through the exhaust pipe and manifold then the warm water is forced into the cylinder and head then out.This was to prevent any cold water seizure's .The engine actually runs a little warmer which in 2 strokes creates less power, the Oem way where it cools the head and cylinder first is the most efficient.With twin cooling you can have 1 line cooling the engine and another cooling the exhaust manifold and pipe but this is used mainly for race set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Yes you are correct the main water line to the engine goes to the cylinder head then water is forced through the galleries, some down through the cylinder block and out to the rear and the majority through the exhaust manifold passages and into the black exhaust pipe.From their it exits to the rear via another line at the bottom of the exhaust pipe above the oil pump.

It has a pisser line so the operator can visually see that water is flowing and another smaller line that runs back to the water box at the rear which feeds water back to the black exhaust pipe which keeps all the couplers from melting.
    The 951 works cooling works very well ,the only time I needed to install another cooling line and a crankcase cooler was on a twin pipe set up with lots of advance timing and compression. Even with a coffman pipe you don't need additional cooling features. what are your modifications ?
    mods:
    Rinaldi reed kit, 1mm over drilled, drilled 89mm (+0.01) wiseco pistons, hotrod crankshaft, polished exhaust valves, 90 + 167.5 jets, 2.3 mm needle in the carburetor. disconnected the oil pump, prok air filter , r & d 46cc cylinder heads, all grey gasline changed, solas 15/20 impeller, worx water intake , worx spons.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sund View Post
    mods:
    Rinaldi reed kit, 1mm over drilled, drilled 89mm (+0.01) wiseco pistons, hotrod crankshaft, polished exhaust valves, 90 + 167.5 jets, 2.3 mm needle in the carburetor. disconnected the oil pump, prok air filter , r & d 46cc cylinder heads, all grey gasline changed, solas 15/20 impeller, worx water intake , worx spons.
    With those mods your engine doesnt require any additional cooling , with your set up be sure to warm up those pistons enough before you give it full throttle as they can tend to nip up when run cold too soon.The r @ d head is the only item that I wouldnt use as it doesnt flow water around the domes anywhere near as well as the stock one.

But saying that I used one back in the 90s for 6 months without a problem,the 15/20 prop will knock down your revs quite alot due to it being too tall.I would have it repitched to 13/18 to get those revs up over 7000.I like the 947 engines to run into the 7000 rpm when at WOT, anything below that makes them feel sluggish.The intake grate will hurt those revs and top end speed as well ,I like the stock one and the only time I would use the worx grate is in a surf moto then change back to stock for rec riding.

Thread Information