Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Sealing your Kanaflex 620WD & R&D 4" adapter

***IMPORTANT***

Here's a couple of tips on keeping water that's splashing in the hull from getting sucked into the SC & WOT & causing some troubles.

1. On the R&D 4" adapter, put a bead of silicone on the valley of the adapter where the SC lip butts up & snaps into when fully attached. This will seal it for sure. The SC "WILL" suck in any water through any little weak points on the adapter seal & that is 1 of the weak points.

2. On the end of the Kanaflex that goes to the SC (if you get the wired kanoflex 620WD) take a razor or small sharp scissors & split the top layer of rubber along the wire to expose the wire & split for about 3 revolutions then cut the wire. This will let the hose fully seal on the adapter with the hose clamp. Otherwise, the wire peaks prevent the hose from a complete seal & water "WILL" get in there...

This post was an after thought so I didn't do the process pictures...

Perfect examples of unsealed vs sealed air intake on the SC are these 2 clips:

clip 1:
    my rxt filling up with water & some water was sucked in through the weak points & killed the plugs & the motor died. It sank.

Skip to 10:45 mark
    Dana Point 2 Oceanside race. on Vimeo

A few months later.....

Clip 2:
    same ski, same thing happened BUT all was sealed & I was able to keep it from dying out on me & sinking because of these 2 steps on sealing the SC/air intake. The ski was tilting & heaving as you can see but it still kept under throttle..The water was up to the bottom of the seat & had I stopped or the motor stopped it would have sank again.

I hope this helps in preventing any ski's from sinking due to the plugs getting sprayed & killing them. It will give you a fighting chance to get to shore at least..

You've been warned.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned User
    +1
    Good to know!

You can also use a specific Kanaflex clamp, and keep the wire intacted...
    http://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/1721

+1
    I run a 4" hose clamp on my adapter. Keeps it nice and tight and dont have to worry about silicone.

+1
    Am I missing something? Hows does your kanflex seal to your R&D adapter relate to you ski sinking????

I just use a regular 4 IN hose clamp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Am I missing something? Hows does your kanflex seal to your R&D adapter relate to you ski sinking????

I just use a regular 4 IN hose clamp.
    Yup, you're missing something!

The water that got through the adapter & spit out by the SC was enough to spray my spark plugs & kill the spark & kill motor yet not enough to fill my motor with water.. If you're full of water & sitting still, you sink.

The ski was filled with water again & I was able to keep it alive due to the fact there was no water intrusion. With the ski in motion, bilge kicking & drain plugs unscrewed you have a chance when full of water.

Did that explain it?

Until you run with your hull full of water you won't know what i'm talking about....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    I run a 4" hose clamp on my adapter. Keeps it nice and tight and dont have to worry about silicone.
    MmmmHmmm, so I thought too....

I'm only talking about a small bead as wide as a pencil lead in the lip of the adapter, not smearing it all over..

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    is that when you lost he drive shaft seal...and filled w water...

if you can keep going the forward momentom keeps you upright..and gives things a chance to get out of the hull. if you stall..i keeps filling up and you cant do anything about it...1 loose hose calmp or carbon seal ..plugs out ect...there are accually alot of ways you ski can get full of water...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    is that when you lost he drive shaft seal...and filled w water...

if you can keep going the forward momentom keeps you upright..and gives things a chance to get out of the hull. if you stall..i keeps filling up and you cant do anything about it...1 loose hose calmp or carbon seal ..plugs out ect...there are accually alot of ways you ski can get full of water...
    Yes, that's when I lost it.

That's my point, no matter how you fill up with water you need to be able to stay under power & the SC is so low it will grab water right away if it's able to.

+1
    I can understand a carbon seal issue causing the ski to fill with water but I dont understand how your hull gets enough water in it to allow the SC to ingest pure water unless your are jumping huge waves and or you flipped the ski over?

The water that you mentioned was splashing around in the hull. How did that enter the ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    I can understand a carbon seal issue causing the ski to fill with water but I dont understand how your hull gets enough water in it to allow the SC to ingest pure water unless your are jumping huge waves and or you flipped the ski over?

The water that you mentioned was splashing around in the hull. How did that enter the ski?
    The water splashing comment was just an example. Look how close the SC is to the bottom of the hull. It doesn't take much water build up to get sucked in.

My Rad4 driveshaft seal let go. Water pumped straight in. The drain plugs have plastic balls inside to keep water from going in but lets water out & that's why I ride with the plugs open.

This happened twice. It's not an everyday event.. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information