Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Does anyone do this?

lubricate throttle valve and "engine components"?

+1
    Yes, it's called fogging your motor when it will sit, unused, for an extended period of time.

+1
    Thanks dude. So it's not really a service item or anything then.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BPnta View Post
    Thanks dude. So it's not really a service item or anything then.
    It is a service item. I think the maintenace chart recommends doing it every 50 hrs. It helps keep corrosion out of the SC & throttle body assembly, especially for those of us who ride in salt air. It's not as important with the stock IC because the oil will go right through it without coating the core surfaces, but with the Riva I would use a really light weight oil or even disconnect the couplers from the IC & spray it directly into the SC & TB. That way you won't risk losing cooling efficiency by coating the core with rust inhibitor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    It is a service item. I think the maintenace chart recommends doing it every 50 hrs. It helps keep corrosion out of the SC & throttle body assembly, especially for those of us who ride in salt air. It's not as important with the stock IC because the oil will go right through it without coating the core surfaces, but with the Riva I would use a really light weight oil or even disconnect the couplers from the IC & spray it directly into the SC & TB. That way you won't risk losing cooling efficiency by coating the core with rust inhibitor.
    I noticed this on my fzr (stock) a little while back.... it seems that the oil breather (the hose that goes into the stock intake) seems to lubricate the SC in some way. At first I was a little worried that it was caused when my oil was overfilled but upon further inspection i noticed that the sc impeller/ housing had a healthy coating of very light oil all around it.

+1
    The stock oil breather box is designed to condense out the oil vapor & let it drip back into the case. If the SC housing was coated with oil, it was probably from your dealer performing the fogging service when you bought the ski or during service if you had them do it.

+1
    The stock oil breather box is designed to condense out the oil vapor & let it drip back into the case. If the SC housing was coated with oil, it was probably from your dealer performing the fogging service when you bought the ski or during service if you had them do it.
    That could be it as well. I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it makes it to 15 tonight

+1
    Got it. Thanks all

+1
    One more thing, what is a recommended "rust inhibitor" to use? Is the Yamaha Silicone spray considered a rust inhibitor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BPnta View Post
    One more thing, what is a recommended "rust inhibitor" to use? Is the Yamaha Silicone spray considered a rust inhibitor?
    I've been using a spray can of fogging oil marketed by one of the motor manufacturers that I picked up quite a while ago to fog the Honda on the pontoon boat. Actually, I purchased it in the fall of '07 so you can see I don't do this much--just in the fall. Three waverunners, the pontoon and a push mower each fall.

I will say that on the SHO motor I used to pull each plug and spray into each cylinder for about three seconds--I am going to start spraying for about five seconds into the intake with the motor running and then spray each cylinder. Never thought about the throttle body needing lubed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information