Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 66V engine help

+1

Question 66V engine help

This morning I went for a ride and road for approximately 4 miles or so. I road at all different rpm and speeds, I stopped beached the ski, looked everything over, let it cool off, check everything out swim around etc. ( This is a new engine 2nd tank of gas still on premix 50:1 oil injection still in use). Anyway after 30 min decided to run some more, so I headed out I ran approximately 3 more miles averaging probably Ĺ throttle 55/56 MPH 5500/5600 rpm kind of cruzing then without warning and all of a sudden the ski shut off instantly. Now of course I removed the seat immediately and checked everything I could think of. No oil in the bilge, no water in the bilge, the engine was warm but not hot, everything appeared to be fine.
    I tried re starting immediately, the engine appeared locked up. You could hear the starter engage but the motor would not turn over it acted just like an engine that had been hydro locked. I tried several more times and nothing. I let it sit maybe three or four minutes and tried to start it again, this time the engine would turn over but still would not start. I hit the primer 4 to 5 times still would not crank, finally after repeating this process 3 times the engine cranked. To my amassment it sounded fine, no funny noises, no nothing. Itís as if nothing had happened. So I turned around and headed back the way I came. I ran the ski very conservatively for say 3 miles 25/35 mph no problems I decide to try it. I ran it top end no problems with no loss in top speed and/or Rpm so I'm kind of confused as what to check out any ideas? MY parts and mods are listed below.

02 XLT 1200

Brand new Yamaha crank
    Pro x pistons
    -10 PPV
    Waveater clips
    Advent
    Rad Charging
    Riva Pro head 39cc domes compression 140lbs
    Jet works mod
    Carbs stock moded 1.5 n/s 125 main 110 pilot
    F/A
    05 pump
    14/20 Dynafly

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    sound like a seizure, Did you rebuild your carbs. with the new motor. And did you happen to pressure test the motor for an air leak before you put it together, It can have an air leak that would cause a lean seizure to.
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 09-02-2006 at 06:27 PM.

+1

Question re pressure test

yes pressure test good, carbs rebuilt 125 mains 110 pilots 1.5 N/S fuel still premixed. Should I pull the head? Can a engine recover from a seizure and be fine? Not do any damage?

+1
    You definitely experienced a lean seizure.
    I would not ride it until you find out what it is.

air leak; carb manifold to case, case not sealed well ect..., I also would nto leave out the carbs (mid throttle lean condition) possibly...

Do a compression check, you also need to pull the head and inspect the cylinder walls to see how bad you squeaked a piston.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Billy is 100 % correct on what you should do before you go back out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjet
    ( This is a new engine 2nd tank of gas still on premix 50:1 oil injection still in use).
    Do you have oil injection in place and you are mixing 50:1 ?

+1

Question re

yes oil injection is inplace and tank is premixed 50:1

+1
    You are spinning an awful big wheel for an XLT with a 1200 engine. Your ski would have probably been fine with a 12/18 to 13/19 and regular pump. You probably have a lean condition that never was a problem with reduced load due to a smaller prop. Your jetting looks conservative (safe). I think an air leak would have toasted your engine on the first tank. The I-Body carbs are a little lean in the 5000 range (due to emissions). You do realize premixing your fuel would lean it a little too. Did you remove your choke plates? I would pull the head and check to see what damage occured. Sometimes a compression check doesn't tell the whole story. I had a GP like that. Once you seize it your tolerances are shot and it will seize repeatedly. Some folks have sanded the damage down on the piston honed or cleaned up the bore and got back after it. I would get a new piston. Those little grooves on the pistons are there to hold oil.

Repitch that impeller and keep an eye on the clearance from the impeller to the wear ring. The gap will become larger as the pitch is reduced.

+1

RE

Ok popped head off today #2 cylinder had seizure mark. How do I post a pic?

Thanks

+1

Question RE: pistion seizure

I feel a small ridge however I don't believe the plating is compromised, or is it? Is this be piston material? What the best way to remove it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	879.1 KB 
ID:	7574  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information