Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Custom making sponsons

Well since the site is kind of dead in the winter (besides those Aus. guys) I thought I would post up for some thoughts and pointers.

I am going to be making some sponsons for my 96 xp - 951. I am going to do some design work and research into this and maybe try some things that haven't been done yet.

I want them to be adjustable and that's all i got really right now. Is there anything you guys who have experience with them would like to see done different or any with shapes/sizes/mounting/adjustable/material/ect.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

thanks for the help. I will be posting ideas/drawings/pics ect as they come.

Dean

Ps. Ziggy, I looked back at the ones you made and those look awesome. Anything different you would do the next time around?

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    I haven't made a complete set of sponsens but when i lost one of my Worxs sponsen last year i came up with a cheap fix. I went to Walmart and bought a cutting board which is about the same damn material and thickness. I took the other Worx sponsen off and traced it on to the cutting board, i then cut it out with a bandsaw so that it was smooth,drilled out the holes to match the other Worxs and ruffed it up and painted it with Krylon Fushion plastic paint. I then called a buddy and he made me a Worx sticker for the cutting board. You can't even tell the diff. It holds up great and im pretty ruff on my ski.

Good luck with your design.

Im planning to get a few guys from the lakeshore together for a ride this summer, i'll show you my ski this summer if you meet up with us.

+1
    if you need a guinepig, i'm game...lol

I made my own custom sponsons for my two XPl's. They were adjustable down and forwards, increasing turning ability when in race setup. I would not recommend using this setting when riding at speed in rough water as it can make the ski turn when you least expect it.

However, one thing I did that improved handling immensley, was to angle the sponsons so that while riding in a straight line, they provided more lift, yet were vertically in the water in a tight turn.

I've been thinking about making some for my 97 XP and my 96 HX, but I'm not sure about size and shape. I was going to use either 1/4" or 5/16" 6061 Al and have it cut with a waterjet. One of my friends works in a shop that has one and he owes me a favor. Does anyone have a simple sketch of a Worx or R&D sponson? If anyone has an CAD drawing, that would be great too. I've got some good ideas, I'm just not sure where to start at.

thanks for the ideas guys. I will be working in some adjustable ideas and some shapes and sizes.

I am not sure about material yet, I am still looking at some possibilities.

Also Mark i have some CAD drawings now of prelim. stuff, but not exact details. In the next couple weeks i am going to be getting exact dimensions and drawing them in cad to work out some different ideas. Hopefully in the next month or so I will be cutting on the CNC. I can pass of some basic CAD drawings when i get them done if you want. However I am not sure if the bolt patterns will be the same...

skeletor88 I made my own custom sponsons for my two XPl's. They were adjustable down and forwards, increasing turning ability when in race setup. I would not recommend using this setting when riding at speed in rough water as it can make the ski turn when you least expect it.

However, one thing I did that improved handling immensley, was to angle the sponsons so that while riding in a straight line, they provided more lift, yet were vertically in the water in a tight turn.
    I am wondering why lift gives it more control? Did you do this by just getting the front end of the sponson pointed up a bit?

dean

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I'm interested in the idea too,
    for my xpl

I've been thinking about making new sponsons for a while now. I think I talked to UltraMax about it last fall. Dean, PM me with you CAD drawings if you don't mind. I'll convert them in Inventor and that way you can get a 3D view of them. I was also think about cutting "SeaDoo" in the middle of them. I've got the right font, so now I'll I need is a basic sponson pattern as a starting point. What kind of CNC do you have, Dean? I've got a wire EDM that I use up at school. Do a search for "EDM" and one of the threads has some pics of my "Powered By Ford" emblems that I made last year.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    yes you did mark, but I dont think we agreed on anything, I remember about some blue prints you requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw3 View Post
    thanks for the ideas guys. I will be working in some adjustable ideas and some shapes and sizes.

I am not sure about material yet, I am still looking at some possibilities.

Also Mark i have some CAD drawings now of prelim. stuff, but not exact details. In the next couple weeks i am going to be getting exact dimensions and drawing them in cad to work out some different ideas. Hopefully in the next month or so I will be cutting on the CNC. I can pass of some basic CAD drawings when i get them done if you want. However I am not sure if the bolt patterns will be the same...

I am wondering why lift gives it more control? Did you do this by just getting the front end of the sponson pointed up a bit?

dean
    The lift it created may have provided a hairs more top end, but I am not really sure as have never done a comparison test. But I do know that angling the bottom of the blade improved turning ability far more than when the blades were straight up and down. This was tested on the twin piper race ski (2000XPL) and a stock one (2000XPL) with the same results.

I used high density polyethene (food grade, so it's a bit more expensive) as the mounts. this is the same stuff that Worx uses and is super strong, yet flexible and will allow you to tap a thread into it. Any plastics supplier should have it in stock. The blades are cut from 80mm wide by 6mm thick aluminium plate. The length is around 320mm, though that can be varied. I polished and clear coted some sets, while others were anodised different colours.

I actually started making these and sent quite a few pairs around the world for XP's, RXP's and GP1200r's, but now have neither the time nor inclination to keep doing it.

If you like I will try and upload a photo of what they look like.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information