Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

thanks for the info Skeletor. Some photos would be great.

Mark I draw in solidworks and Pro E so it is all 3D. I will be cutting on a Hass CNC.

Dean

When I took the factory sponsons off my 98 gtxl's, I pretty much decided that I don't want to put those ones back on. So I have been thinking about this too. The 98 sponsons are pretty much just for lift, while I read the 99+ had more of a hook to them for better handling. I was thinking about using them as a template for the mounting block for lift and adding paddles...

Here is an idea I kicked around for a 2 position adjustable sponson for my Polaris a few years ago. I was thinking about 1/8" stainless for the blade and bent so it was perpendicular to the hull and water flow in a turn. The bend should also add lift. I never did anything with it and don't even know if I like the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sponson formed metal blade adj.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	169666  

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us!
    +1
    niceee

Quote Originally Posted by retro jet View Post
    When I took the factory sponsons off my 98 gtxl's, I pretty much decided that I don't want to put those ones back on. So I have been thinking about this too. The 98 sponsons are pretty much just for lift, while I read the 99+ had more of a hook to them for better handling. I was thinking about using them as a template for the mounting block for lift and adding paddles...

Here is an idea I kicked around for a 2 position adjustable sponson for my Polaris a few years ago. I was thinking about 1/8" stainless for the blade and bent so it was perpendicular to the hull and water flow in a turn. The bend should also add lift. I never did anything with it and don't even know if I like the idea.
    Poke around a bit on eBay under sponsons. There is a company making a similar design (wing) as your drawing and marketing them as a universal sponson for both standup an runabout.

Curious to see what else you guys come up with.

I made a set last summer from 1/4" ABS for my wife's 96 GSX. Mounting plate was 1/2" aluminum, tapped with 3 sets of holes for forward / down mounting. After I snapped one of the ABS sponsons, I went with 1/4" lexan. Never had a problem after that. I've got photos, somewhere... Don't think I took any of the lexan mounted to the ski, but I should have some of the black ABS. Don't use ABS, too soft. I'd go take pics now, but the skis are buried under feet of snow yet...

I'm liking this thread.... A lot of good ideas starting to circulate!

I'm going to draw up a few ideas in Inventor tonight or tomorrow and I'll post files and pics. I still think it would look really cool to engrave or cut something out on the sides of the sponsons. It would give it a great professionally done custom look. Dean's Haas CNC would be the perfect thing for engraving. Skeletor mentioned the high density polyethelene which might work really well. I'm not sure if you paint that stuff.

Retro, do you have the CAD file for your sponsons? Would you mind sharing it?

Here is another design that was kicking around and I modified it a bit. It is milled from a solid block.

If you want the CAD files PM me with an Email and the file format you want, but I have no idea how good the geometry of the design would be.

It's tough to beat UHMW Polyethylene for cost and impact resistance. http://www.mcmaster.com/#8657kac/=5k50xs
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    UHMW is what BeachHouse was made from. Good stuff, best to work with when its warm. Don't leave it in the garage in freezing temps, otherwise it will shatter. Hit with a heat gun to smooth out any surface scratches.

I have a design for both X4 and XPL hulls, similar to BeachHouse, more adjustability

I'm going to be cutting a set out of 1/4" Alum in the next few days/week for my RXP. I'll post up some pics when I get them finished.

Here is what I drew up this afternoon... The dimensions are no where close to correct, but I just wanted to get the general size and shape the way I wanted. The font is called Sea Dog. Just google "font" and "Sea Dog" and you'll find it. PM me if you want the Inventor file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sponson.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	169975  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information