+1

Engine Lubrication

I'm a bit confused regarding the topic of Engine Lubrication. Is this the same as "Fogging The Engine"?

The 2008 shop manual states that to "Lubricate The Engine" I should remove the fuel rail and spray XPS-Lube in each of the fuel injector ports. It has this procedure listed as a long term storage procedure.

Is this something that should actually be done on a regular basis (I never go more than a month without), instead of just for storage? The shop manual also states to add Fuel stabilizer to the gas tank before doing this. If I'm not storing the ski, should I still add the fuel stabilizer before engine lubing?

Thanks,

TheEngineer

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Thats part of winterizing a ski for storage... something that we don't have to worry about here in Florida as long as it doesn't sit for months at a time

+1
    Ok, so basically if I live in Florida and I never go longer than a month without riding...I shouldn't need to spray any XPS lube into the fuel injector ports or the spark plug cylinders, is this correct?

So the only thing that gets internal lubrication is the throttle body? (Obviously I know to spray around the engine compartment to prevent corrossion. I'm just trying to find out if there are any other internal components that need lubricated).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Ok, so basically if I live in Florida and I never go longer than a month without riding...I shouldn't need to spray any XPS lube into the fuel injector ports or the spark plug cylinders, is this correct?

So the only thing that gets internal lubrication is the throttle body? (Obviously I know to spray around the engine compartment to prevent corrossion. I'm just trying to find out if there are any other internal components that need lubricated).
    Yes that is correct, just crank your ski up atleast every 30 days and that will lube the motor.

is it ok to start the ski every other week and let it runs for 3-4 seconds without any ill effects? the ski sits in a heated garage that doesnt go below 55 deg. the motor only idles while its running. or should i hook it up to the hose when i start it up and let it run for a few minutes.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiRamOn22s View Post
    is it ok to start the ski every other week and let it runs for 3-4 seconds without any ill effects? the ski sits in a heated garage that doesnt go below 55 deg. the motor only idles while its running. or should i hook it up to the hose when i start it up and let it run for a few minutes.
    the way you are doing it is fine, Usually you can do it for 15 secs.
    hooking it up to the hose and running it is not a good idea, yeah you're
    cooling the engine and exhaust, but your carbon ring is not being cooled.
    carbon rings are usually cooled/lubed by the water at the lake/ocean.
    some ppl think just by hooking it up to the hose you can run it all day...NO!
    this will cause the ring to heat up and wear out, later causing cavitation and
    maybe sinking your ski

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    maybe sinking your ski
    Actually you can run your ski on the hose, just not for a long time. Check your owners manual or the servicing manual. How else are you suppose to check your oil or flush your ski if it aint running on the hose. Hell I run mine about 2-3 min. on the hose when I flush it, I do spray some XP lube down the intake grate area thats all and never had any adverse effects.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Actually you can run your ski on the hose, just not for a long time. Check your owners manual or the servicing manual. How else are you suppose to check your oil or flush your ski if it aint running on the hose. Hell I run mine about 2-3 min. on the hose when I flush it, I do spray some XP lube down the intake grate area thats all and never had any adverse effects.
    different ppl different opinions, are you running a RAD4 carrier deal? or stock carbon ring?

different ppl different opinions, are you running a RAD4 carrier deal? or stock carbon ring?
    Stock carbon ring, been doing so since I brought the ski in 07, never had an issue.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    maybe sinking your ski

On the 4-tecs... all you are cooling is the exhaust when running on a flush hose. The motor will eventually over heat, unless your running a heat exchanger. I've never seen a damaged carbon seal from flushing a ski to long.

Thread Information