+1

Tapping into stock sensors

As most of you already know, I plan on running the AEM F/IC (fuel and ignition controller) in my ski once I get my ECU back from being reflashed.

With the latest developments on the SHO platform, it's become very important to me to be able to monitor stock block temperatures, and probably intake air temperatures as well.

Yamaha already gave us these sensors from the factory. What I am looking for is a way to tap into these sensors and display the information, and I need you all's help in brainstorming how to do it.

Didn't somebody have a thread on here a while ago about getting the stock Yamaha diagnostic software and connection cable? I'm wondering if it's possible to see these parameters via that software?

If not, is anyone aware of any other interface that will allow tapping into stock temp sensors? I know temp sensors can very in design and basic operation so the ability to calibrate the way the software reads the sensor would be necessary with any kind of an interface setup.

I'm looking for an easier way to do this than drilling an tapping and installing gauges and sensors everywhere. The sensors are alsready there so really would like to utilize them.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As long as they are linear 0-5 volt it shouldn't be a problem to use the values. If the sensor is not linear you can create a table for the values as recorded or read as in-use.

I use DTM type connectors for just about everything now just like what are on the MoTec harness. No more weatherpacks...

Once you get them changed over you don't have to worry about Yamaha's connectors.

http://www.deutschconnector.com/prod...onnectors.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    As long as they are linear 0-5 volt it shouldn't be a problem to use the values. If the sensor is not linear you can create a table for the values as recorded or read as in-use.

I use DTM type connectors for just about everything now just like what are on the MoTec harness. No more weatherpacks...

Once you get them changed over you don't have to worry about Yamaha's connectors.

http://www.deutschconnector.com/prod...onnectors.html
    Yes but on what and where am I going to display the sensor outputs? Do we know if the stock yamaha air intake sensor and engine temp sensor are linear 0-5v output type sensors? I thought temp sensors did not have a linear 0-5v output. I think I had a buddy tell me that stock Ford temp sensors are just that but can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Yes but on what and where am I going to display the sensor outputs? Do we know if the stock yamaha air intake sensor and engine temp sensor are linear 0-5v output type sensors? I thought temp sensors did not have a linear 0-5v output. I think I had a buddy tell me that stock Ford temp sensors are just that but can't remember.

In that case, here is a table for the OEM Sensor that is used with a certain other ECU...
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    That is awesome Dave. That is just what I was looking for. Now just have to interface those inputs into my AEM and that would work. Hopefully I have enough open inputs on the piggyback system. I'll have to check.

Hope nobody get's pissed at you for giving me that.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    That is awesome Dave. That is just what I was looking for. Now just have to interface those inputs into my AEM and that would work. Hopefully I have enough open inputs on the piggyback system. I'll have to check.

Hope nobody get's pissed at you for giving me that.

Eh, who's to say I didn't come up with those numbers on my own

+1

Yamaha YDS

The Yamaha Diagnostic Software enables you to read values while the ski is running, test injectors, drop coils, see the past warning codes, what hours they occured and see how many hours your ski was ridden at what rpm range. Nothing is adjustable and it doesnt data log.

You can see the values of all the sensors in the motor but it wont do you any good as your obviously not going to take your lap top in the water with you...

Have you given any thought to running a full Aem stand alone? All it would take is a home made harness and a base map. Im pretty sure theres a base map wizard in the software too if I remember correct. Although the Motech is a much more reliable set up it would cost you 1/4 the price to have all the same capabilities and have the ability to have a race map and a rec map on a switch

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    The Yamaha Diagnostic Software enables you to read values while the ski is running, test injectors, drop coils, see the past warning codes, what hours they occurred and see how many hours your ski was ridden at what rpm range. Nothing is adjustable and it doesn't data log.

You can see the values of all the sensors in the motor but it wont do you any good as your obviously not going to take your lap top in the water with you...

Have you given any thought to running a full AEM stand alone? All it would take is a home made harness and a base map. I'm pretty sure there's a base map wizard in the software too if I remember correct. Although the Motec is a much more reliable set up it would cost you 1/4 the price to have all the same capabilities and have the ability to have a race map and a rec map on a switch
    I hear you on that man. I would love nothing more than to have a Motec but I just can't afford it. Taking my laptop on the ski is something I have actually considered and purchased a very capable Netbook for just that.
    Obviously it won't have it on there all the time, just when I want to log for longer than the internal logging memory can support.

I honestly think I would be in way over my head trying to do my own standalone. Just nailing down idle control would not be easy. There is no separate idle control module on these skis. It's all done by the ECU. That and 100 other things would be a very big challenge. Decel, part throttle, cold start, building in safety nets. Just way more then I want to have to deal with and I'm not going to pay an AEM tuner by the hour to figure it all our for me, but I do think it could be done. I just don't want to be the one to do it.

I've got a couple PMs from people that have some ideas for me so thank you all very much for the input and responses. Very much appreciated. I will update this thread as I come up with solutions.

Thread Information