I need some advice

Ok, so for the past like 2-3 months my laptop has been broken. My friend said that his friend could fix it. They have had it for at least 2 months, probably longer, well for sure longer actually. Anyways, they were done with it and brought it to me tonight. Before they left they wanted to test it to see if it worked. My problem was that it wasnt charging. Well the charging light is lit up but it wont turn on. In my dorm room they are trying to fix it, they know what was broken and they tried to fix it. What they broke was a little clip on the power button that holds in a think wire to it. So they tried to just do a mock fixing thing. Well it isnt working. I paid the guy $20 for his efforts and asked if it was enough. Apparently his brother (who I guess did most of it) wants $100, it was going to be $200 but because they had it for so long he only wants 100 now. I told him I would get the rest of the money for him but honestly I am not planing on paying the rest because its bullshit. I asked many times how much they were going to want for fixing it but I never got an answer. If I had known that they wanted $100-200 for it I would have said screw it and just sent the laptop to the manufacture. Now I have to send it in because while they were fixing it they broke something. I really feel like they should be the ones paying to have it fixed by the manufacture. They also voided my warranty from fixing it because they had to take it all appart (which is kinda my fault for letting them fix it). Should I make them pay for it? I am really bad at being angry at someone and hate telling people stuff like this. I just dont know what I should do.

thats a crappy spot to be in... i would say that until it works they would not get a penny... if he can get it working without it being jerry rigged then i would maybe pay him... its too bad u just didnt send it to the manufactuer if it was under warrenty... live and learn my friend, thats what u go to college for haha. There goes ur beer fund for the next few months lol.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    dont pay him a dime! would you take your car to a dealership and have them tell you they didnt fix it and want full price? I think not. Its bad enough that they had it for two months now they want a shot in the dark price...? They should have told you up front or at least called you when they figured out the problem and let you make the decision to fix or not. At least you offered to pay them something for their troubles but $100-$200 is ridiculous. What do you think that they would have charged you if they truly fixed it? $500? They should be happy that you offered $20 for their troubles...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaserxp215 View Post
    thats a crappy spot to be in... i would say that until it works they would not get a penny... if he can get it working without it being jerry rigged then i would maybe pay him... its too bad u just didnt send it to the manufactuer if it was under warrenty... live and learn my friend, thats what u go to college for haha. There goes ur beer fund for the next few months lol.
    no kidding

+1
    Hmm, that is a tough situation, Grasshoppa.
    My suggestion; sell that p.o.s. on E-Bay and give him a token percentage of whatever you get. Take the rest and buy yourself a real laptop (Apple) on E-bay with a one year Square Trade Warranty. We got a nice used one for $265 for our daughter; she's using it in college now and she loves it.

+1
    honestly i would make them pay to get it fixed..then give them a small price maybe 25-30 bucks at most..or say since they broke it, sell it on ebay whatever you get for it and make them pay the rest towards a basic laptop..or take em to small claims court

Yoyamma was that a hint trying to hook rampage up with ur daughter lol.

+1
    No she already has a boyfriend,
    and I'm sure she is driving the poor kid insane....
    I was trying to hook him up with a better computer.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    No she already has a boyfriend,
    and I'm sure she is driving the poor kid insane....
    I was trying to hook him up with a better computer.
    I aint scared of some punk ass boyfriend

I dont want a chick with an apple anyways Chase hahaha

If I knew I could get a decent amount of money from it on ebay I would be all for it. The laptop cost me $1200 but I dont think I would get anywhere close to that on ebay. I for sure dont want to bring this to court because 1) I wouldnt even know what steps to take to do that and 2) I just dont wanna go there. Right now its at my house and next week my dad is going to take it to the guy who fixes his laptop all the time...at $75 an hour

Thread Information